Printer Forums

Printer Forums - Printing Help and Support > Newsgroups > Printer Newsgroups > Scanners > Can I connect SCSI scanner to USB port with adapter

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Can I connect SCSI scanner to USB port with adapter

 
 
VG
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      06-14-2005, 09:51 PM
I have a SCSI Canon FS2710 slide scanner which I have previously been using
on my old pc, connected via a PCI SCSI card.

I now have a new pc, and am wondering if there is such a thing as a
conversion kit or special cable that will enable me to connect the scanner
to a USB port on this new machine.

This new machine is a P4 3.2GH, and comes with only three PCI expansion
slots. I am reluctant to use one of these slots for a SCSI card, as they may
well be needed for other devices.

Any suggestions would be most welcome

VG



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
DaveW
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      06-14-2005, 11:30 PM
There is no such thing as a SCSI to USB adapter.

--
DaveW



"VG" <> wrote in message
news:d8njgn$3cq$...
>I have a SCSI Canon FS2710 slide scanner which I have previously been using
> on my old pc, connected via a PCI SCSI card.
>
> I now have a new pc, and am wondering if there is such a thing as a
> conversion kit or special cable that will enable me to connect the scanner
> to a USB port on this new machine.
>
> This new machine is a P4 3.2GH, and comes with only three PCI expansion
> slots. I am reluctant to use one of these slots for a SCSI card, as they
> may
> well be needed for other devices.
>
> Any suggestions would be most welcome
>
> VG
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
VG
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      06-15-2005, 07:36 PM
Yes. Thanks for your suggestion.
Found Adaptec 'USB2Xchange' and ordered from Amazon

VG


"T Shadow" <> wrote in message
news:57Ore.42351$. ..
> "VG" <> wrote in message
> news:d8njgn$3cq$...
>> I have a SCSI Canon FS2710 slide scanner which I have previously been

> using
>> on my old pc, connected via a PCI SCSI card.
>>
>> I now have a new pc, and am wondering if there is such a thing as a
>> conversion kit or special cable that will enable me to connect the
>> scanner
>> to a USB port on this new machine.
>>
>> This new machine is a P4 3.2GH, and comes with only three PCI expansion
>> slots. I am reluctant to use one of these slots for a SCSI card, as they

> may
>> well be needed for other devices.
>>
>> Any suggestions would be most welcome
>>
>> VG
>>
>>

> Adaptec USBXchange
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Gord Schindler
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      06-15-2005, 11:55 PM

"T Shadow" <> wrote in message
news:sg0se.44378$...
> "VG" <> wrote in message
> news:d8pvv2$rgj$...
>> Yes. Thanks for your suggestion.
>> Found Adaptec 'USB2Xchange' and ordered from Amazon
>>
>> VG
>>
>>
>> "T Shadow" <> wrote in message
>> news:57Ore.42351$. ..
>> > "VG" <> wrote in message
>> > news:d8njgn$3cq$...
>> >> I have a SCSI Canon FS2710 slide scanner which I have previously been
>> > using
>> >> on my old pc, connected via a PCI SCSI card.
>> >>
>> >> I now have a new pc, and am wondering if there is such a thing as a
>> >> conversion kit or special cable that will enable me to connect the
>> >> scanner
>> >> to a USB port on this new machine.
>> >>
>> >> This new machine is a P4 3.2GH, and comes with only three PCI
>> >> expansion
>> >> slots. I am reluctant to use one of these slots for a SCSI card, as

> they
>> > may
>> >> well be needed for other devices.
>> >>
>> >> Any suggestions would be most welcome
>> >>
>> >> VG
>> >>
>> >>
>> > Adaptec USBXchange
>> >
>> >

>>

> Post back how you like it. I have a MATX M/B and may want to go that route
> in the future. Adaptec is a little pricey but make excellent hardware.
>
>

Yes. Please do post back. I wonder if it would enable me to connect my old
HP Scanjet 4C to my new PC.
Gord Schindler


 
Reply With Quote
 
Stewart DIBBS
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      06-16-2005, 11:21 PM
"VG" <> wrote in message
news:d8pvv2$rgj$...
> Found Adaptec 'USB2Xchange' and ordered from Amazon


I had a look at the adaptec site for 'USB2Xchange' .I note they mention SCSI
peripherals, but don't mention scanners explicitly. I can understand that a
disk / tape device can be converted to USB using a miniport SCSI driver:
these appear to Windows as a removable device. TWAIN data sources are often
another issue.

Has anyone actually got a scsi scanner working with its standard installed
TWAIN data source with one of these?

Stewart DIBBS


 
Reply With Quote
 
Sam Inela
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      06-17-2005, 02:41 AM
Did you check the FAQ for that thing?
http://ask.adaptec.com/cgi-bin/adapt...YWdlPTE*&p_li=


"VG" <> wrote in message
news:d8pvv2$rgj$...
> Yes. Thanks for your suggestion.
> Found Adaptec 'USB2Xchange' and ordered from Amazon
>
> VG
>
>
> "T Shadow" <> wrote in message
> news:57Ore.42351$. ..
>> "VG" <> wrote in message
>> news:d8njgn$3cq$...
>>> I have a SCSI Canon FS2710 slide scanner which I have previously been

>> using
>>> on my old pc, connected via a PCI SCSI card.
>>>
>>> I now have a new pc, and am wondering if there is such a thing as a
>>> conversion kit or special cable that will enable me to connect the
>>> scanner
>>> to a USB port on this new machine.
>>>
>>> This new machine is a P4 3.2GH, and comes with only three PCI expansion
>>> slots. I am reluctant to use one of these slots for a SCSI card, as they

>> may
>>> well be needed for other devices.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions would be most welcome
>>>
>>> VG
>>>
>>>

>> Adaptec USBXchange
>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Castor
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      06-17-2005, 07:53 PM

"VG" <> a écrit dans le message de news:
d8njgn$3cq$...
>I have a SCSI Canon FS2710 slide scanner which I have previously been using
> on my old pc, connected via a PCI SCSI card.
>
> I now have a new pc, and am wondering if there is such a thing as a
> conversion kit or special cable that will enable me to connect the scanner
> to a USB port on this new machine.
>
> This new machine is a P4 3.2GH, and comes with only three PCI expansion
> slots. I am reluctant to use one of these slots for a SCSI card, as they
> may
> well be needed for other devices.
>
> Any suggestions would be most welcome
>
> VG
>

I was able to connect an old Flat Scanner model Microtek Phantom4800 SCSI
via a USB1.1 to SCSI converter from PortGear.
It was working perfectly under WindowsMe with the current scanner drivers
and twain applications.

Now under windows XPproSP2, hardware wise it's still working (for SCSI disk
or removavable SCSI disk it works fine).

But, I'm getting problems with my old scanner because I don't have proper
drivers and utilities for Win XP ...

So good luck for your case.
Castor


 
Reply With Quote
 
Castor
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      06-19-2005, 08:17 AM
>> >
>> I was able to connect an old Flat Scanner model Microtek Phantom4800 SCSI
>> via a USB1.1 to SCSI converter from PortGear.
>> It was working perfectly under WindowsMe with the current scanner drivers
>> and twain applications.
>>
>> Now under windows XPproSP2, hardware wise it's still working (for SCSI

> disk
>> or removavable SCSI disk it works fine).
>>
>> But, I'm getting problems with my old scanner because I don't have proper
>> drivers and utilities for Win XP ...
>>
>> So good luck for your case.
>> Castor


> You can most likely find the latest driver here:
> http://www.support.microtek.com/
>
> There is a new XP driver for ScanMaker 4800, maybe that is your model.
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com


Thanks for your attention , I'll check
Regards
Castor


 
Reply With Quote
 
Castor
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      06-19-2005, 10:59 AM

"CSM1" <> a écrit dans le message de news:
GcIse.1986$...
> "Castor" <castor2cod1@~hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:42b32aa1$0$8793$...
>>
>> "VG" <> a écrit dans le message de news:
>> d8njgn$3cq$...
>> >I have a SCSI Canon FS2710 slide scanner which I have previously been

> using
>> > on my old pc, connected via a PCI SCSI card.
>> >
>> > I now have a new pc, and am wondering if there is such a thing as a
>> > conversion kit or special cable that will enable me to connect the

> scanner
>> > to a USB port on this new machine.
>> >
>> > This new machine is a P4 3.2GH, and comes with only three PCI expansion
>> > slots. I am reluctant to use one of these slots for a SCSI card, as
>> > they
>> > may
>> > well be needed for other devices.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions would be most welcome
>> >
>> > VG
>> >

>> I was able to connect an old Flat Scanner model Microtek Phantom4800 SCSI
>> via a USB1.1 to SCSI converter from PortGear.
>> It was working perfectly under WindowsMe with the current scanner drivers
>> and twain applications.
>>
>> Now under windows XPproSP2, hardware wise it's still working (for SCSI

> disk
>> or removavable SCSI disk it works fine).
>>
>> But, I'm getting problems with my old scanner because I don't have proper
>> drivers and utilities for Win XP ...
>>
>> So good luck for your case.
>> Castor
>>

>
> You can most likely find the latest driver here:
> http://www.support.microtek.com/
>

Unfortunately this link no longer works ...
Castor

> There is a new XP driver for ScanMaker 4800, maybe that is your model.
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> --
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Castor
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      06-19-2005, 12:59 PM

>>> You can most likely find the latest driver here:
>>> http://www.support.microtek.com/
>>>

>> Unfortunately this link no longer works ...
>> Castor

>
> It still works for me, try it again. This is a USA link, I do not know if
> it works for the rest of the world. It is a link to support and not
> directly to a specific scanner model.
>
> This is the international gateway to Microtek.
> http://www.microtek.com/
>
> Select your region, then Support and Downloads.
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> --
>>
>>> There is a new XP driver for ScanMaker 4800, maybe that is your model.


BTW, my scanner is a Microtek Phantom 4800 ... I think it's a different
model than ScanMaker 4800 ???? Older ??
Castor



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
USB to Printer Port Adapter Troubleshooting Edelstein Windows XP Printing 2 02-22-2006 03:00 PM
Modification of Nikon SA-21 strip film adapter to work like SA-30 roll adapter? Rosch Scanners 0 01-03-2005 03:00 PM
USB to Serial Port Adapter rockoyster Printers 0 09-14-2004 10:07 PM
Driver Tekram DC-390 PCI SCSI Adapter Win XP ****FRGE***** Printer Drivers 0 08-09-2004 07:17 PM
ISA SCSI scanner on Parallel/USB port? email@domain.com Scanners 1 12-22-2003 09:55 PM