Printer Forums

Printer Forums - Printing Help and Support > Manufacturers > Hewlett Packard > HP Photosmart: How to print 4x6" index card STRAIGHT!?

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

HP Photosmart: How to print 4x6" index card STRAIGHT!?

 
 
usenet4fniUNO@yahoo.com
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      12-13-2003, 08:13 PM
Howdy,
I've been trying to print on 4x6" index cards for name tags (Word97)
and ham radio verification cards ("QSL cards") on my HP Photosmart1000
printer.

My problem is that the cards skew while being pulled through for the
printing. This makes the image at an angle. I've tried 3 ways:
1. through the 4x6" photo paper tray
This one moves the paper over an inch to the left. The HP printing
software takes care of this, but I'm printing through Word97. I can
cheat Word97 with an extra right 1" of margin, but the paper size
issues are NO FUN. Word97 does not have an inherent 4x6" index card
stock size. I can't seem to make the paper size stick in the template
I use to make the cards.

2. through the single envelope print slot
This has the slew effect. I've tried such scam fixes as a thick slice
of cardboard on the card's left side to help guide the card through,
since the card is not as wide as a #10 envelope that the slot is
designed for.

3. through the normal paper tray
This is terrible, since this printer does not allow enough access to
get the stack of cards back out (either way you place the cards in)
and requires (dangerous to the printer) digging the unused cards back
out of the printer with some metal probe. I've also experienced slew
with this printing input.

There is only ONE TINY MENTION of 4x6" index cards in the supplied
manual. And I can't figure out how to ask HP this burning question.
Their Web site is not geared to folks like me, who want to ask a
question on a printer.

Thanks in advance for any sage advice...'specially if you have
actually DONE IT with your printer!

Richard
Bastrop Texas USA
Richard - Bastrop TX - Remove UNO to reply
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
xNokia3390x
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      12-13-2003, 08:43 PM
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My problem is that the cards skew while being pulled through for the
> printing. This makes the image at an angle. I've tried 3 ways:


I have the exact same problem. Instead of it taking me half an hour, it
took me over an hour and a half to finish printing my 4x6 cards (about 35)
front and back with a word and the definition on the back. I first tried my
DeskJet 930c (basically the same printer as your Photosmart 1000) and like
you, the results weren't very good. It was usually crooked and it often fed
wrong. I then tried my Photosmart 7350 figuring because it was newer, it
must have a better feed system. Nope, it was just as bad. I ended up
having to manually feed it thru the envelope and keeping it as straight as I
could. I'm going to pick up a Canon i560 soon and see how it works with
that printer. I won't get rid of my 930c though - many people have used
their 9xx series (based on the same print engine as your P1000) for
50,000-75,000 pages which is very impressive. I just need something to
supplement my HP's advantages and disadvantages.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Trev
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      12-13-2003, 09:47 PM

"xNokia3390x" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:NRKCb.14150$(E-Mail Removed)...
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My problem is that the cards skew while being pulled through for the
> > printing. This makes the image at an angle. I've tried 3 ways:

>
> I have the exact same problem. Instead of it taking me half an hour,

it
> took me over an hour and a half to finish printing my 4x6 cards (about

35)
> front and back with a word and the definition on the back. I first

tried my
> DeskJet 930c (basically the same printer as your Photosmart 1000) and

like
> you, the results weren't very good. It was usually crooked and it

often fed
> wrong. I then tried my Photosmart 7350 figuring because it was newer,

it
> must have a better feed system. Nope, it was just as bad. I ended up
> having to manually feed it thru the envelope and keeping it as

straight as I
> could. I'm going to pick up a Canon i560 soon and see how it works

with
> that printer. I won't get rid of my 930c though - many people have

used
> their 9xx series (based on the same print engine as your P1000) for
> 50,000-75,000 pages which is very impressive. I just need something

to
> supplement my HP's advantages and disadvantages.



I have just done my Xmas cards. Envelopes that is. I removed the A4
sheets out and placed the envelopes in slide the guides in to place an
replaced the top tray . I have a 5550 it cant be that much different


 
Reply With Quote
 
MaryL
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      12-13-2003, 11:58 PM

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Howdy,
> I've been trying to print on 4x6" index cards for name tags (Word97)
> and ham radio verification cards ("QSL cards") on my HP Photosmart1000
> printer.
>
> My problem is that the cards skew while being pulled through for the
> printing. This makes the image at an angle. I've tried 3 ways:
>
> Thanks in advance for any sage advice...'specially if you have
> actually DONE IT with your printer!
>
> Richard
> Bastrop Texas USA
> Richard - Bastrop TX - Remove UNO to reply


I have an HP5550, so I'm not sure if this will help. I frequently print
postcard-type cards, with no problem. I lift the top panel and carefully
place the cards in the right side of the bottom panel. There are two
sliders on my printer (left and top) that need to be *carefully* positioned
snugly against the paper or cards. Then I use photo software to print -- I
have successfully used PhotoPrinter 2000 Pro, WordPerfect, and HP's printer
assistant. It only takes a couple of minutes to properly position the
paper, so there may be something entirely different in the printers -- but
it also may be that you need to place your paper on the bottom tray instead
of using the envelope insert.

I just checked my online HP manual, and it says to place no more than 30
cards in the tray at a time. It also suggests looking at the instructions
for borderless printing.

I found the electronic manual to be much more comprehensive than the printed
manual. If you don't have one, go to the HP site and download the printer
assistant for your printer. I could try to e-mail a copy of mine to you if
you can't locate it at the HP site (but remember that mine is actually for
the HP 5550). Send e-mail to me if you need this help (and "delete the
litter" from the e-mail address attached to this message).

I hope this helps.
MaryL


 
Reply With Quote
 
MaryL
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      12-14-2003, 12:21 AM

"MaryL" <(E-Mail Removed)-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

One more suggestion: Do you still have the installation disk that came with
your printer? If so, you will probably find the electronic manual there.
It can be saved to your computer for easy reference (and is much more
complete than the printed literature that HP provides).

MaryL


 
Reply With Quote
 
Markeau
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      12-14-2003, 12:22 AM
Good grief, the dreaded HP inkjet skew problem again ... are there ANY
inkjet printers that absolutely do not skew the print on a page,
especially plain ole 8.5x11? I need to replace my ancient HP 890c
(with a terrible skew problem, no matter how much paper is in the
tray) but may just bite the color laser bullet if the current inkjet
offerings still skew.

 
Reply With Quote
 
MaryL
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      12-14-2003, 01:29 PM

As a follow-up, you should be able to find the electronic user's manual
here: http://tinyurl.com/z66n

I realize that you may already have done this, but I thought it was worth
mentioning.

Hope it helps...,
MaryL


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Printing on 5x8 Index Card Stock on HP4700dn MrGBojangles Hewlett Packard 1 11-19-2007 04:45 PM
3x5 Index Card RatherKnott Windows XP Printing 0 01-14-2007 05:29 PM
Photosmart Print Tray Use for Index Cards UNOusenet4fniUNO@yahoo.com Printer Paper / Media 0 06-24-2006 05:13 PM
Index Card Printing TraversJ@gmail.com Printer Paper / Media 4 12-30-2005 05:32 PM
Index Card Laser Printer raffir@gmail.com Printer Paper / Media 0 08-17-2005 01:57 PM