Are generic inks good to use

I found a cheap printer ink website ie peachtreeink.net. Are generic inks good to use purchase from Peachtreeink.net?

Really, the only valid answer is ... "it depends" ...
* Are you a refiller?
* I just glanced at their website. Seems ok, but who knows?
* Where does their ink come from? China?
* How consistent do you need the ink to be?
* How high are you image quality expectations?
* If high quality, are you prepared to learn "color management"?
* Certainly, the price will be much less than oem ink.

Highly recomended place to buy ink

These two places are very very highly recommended to purchase refill inks.

PrecisionColors

ink-refills
printerfillingstation- These two places are actually the same.

Their pricing seems to be very reasonable compared to others. and they offer excellent immediate help if you ever need it.
Ive been using them for over 15 years.:D

Last edited:
I've used supermediastore.com a lot in the past (and I mean a lot) and never had any problems. Re-manufactured or non-oem inks are kind of a 50/50 kind of thing. It usually comes down to the chips the "manufacture" uses. Years ago I upgrade to using CISS over refilling or purchasing re-manufactured ink cartridges, never looked back.

I looked over the site and I'm sure the inks there work just fine,

I found a small article that gives some reviews of different sites out there offering the same service. Just do a little research before buying and you'll be fine.

techsupportalert.com / cheap_inket_cartridges.htm

you need to really careful with non genuine inks some inks don't react well with some makes and so on, and then there is the quality of the print you get from the ink its self, just be discerning :)

"Generic" ink is good if purchased from the right source. some companies list the wrong type of ink for your printer. I'd recommend doing a bit of research on some vendors. Overall though it's completely safe to use ink that is not from HP,Brother etc...

I usually go to eb*y or Abacus for my ink cartridges.
Some of the remanufactured cartridges print fine but don't show up on your printer software - to show ink levels.
I always keep at least one set of new or remanufactured cartridges on hand.

I use a laser printer now and would never go back to inks again for black print.
If you do use ink be very careful which printer you use. The HP are ok since their printhead is in the cartridge. Brother though is not. If the printhead goes it costs more than a whole new machine.
You have to 'know' how to refill a cartridge. You need a cartridge holder from pro-print. If the printhead is blocked and that happens too often you have to 'blow' it out using the syringe. Altogether not worth the aggravation. With a laser refill there is never any problems.

Some Chinese manufacturers (Most compatible cartridges come from one city in Guangdong province of China - Zhuhai - just 1 hour on jetfoil from Hong Kong.

There is a number of very well funded companies - with a lot of experience, their own patents etc. There are others who I would not write about.

Two well established companies are

Ninestar - G&G brand
Multi-Union - Printrite brand

Both of these companies have been going for many years and are professionally managed. They manufacture products for many other companies.

Outside of China the largest contender is DCI (Jet-tec brand). DCI s based in the UK

Last edited by a moderator:
It can be really hit or miss with these. I buy the ink for our Canon (normally $25 for one black cart) for $5 on eBay. The color ones I get for less than $4.. believe so far we only had one bad cartridge. I would stick with eBay and just check buyer feedback to make sure the purchase will pan out

In most cases, the cost of going generic is about half. While this may seem like a no-brainer strategy to save money, there is one important issue to take into consideration. That’s the issue of print quality.

Ask a Question