Assistance with Linux Install of Brother 495-MFCcw

Any assistance or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm running a dual boot Linux Mint Debian Edition and Windows XP SP3. My printer is the Brother MFC-495cw. It works fine on the Windows XP, but will not work on the LMDE. Otherwise, LMDE seems to be working fine and running faster than my Windows XP.

1) I installed it via the Brother deb files with my GEdbi Package installer and it successfully installed the printer.
2) It shows up under "Print Settings" in the control center with a green check.
3) When I want to print something, it goes through the menu and asks how many copies, fit to page, print order, etc. When I hit print either in the menu or under files, it appears to try to send the document to the printer, but nothing happens with the printer turned on or off.
I've uninstalled and re-installed it and currently am at a complete loss. it looks like it ought to work, but doesn't.

Help, please.

I'm only semi-Linux literate, but obviously have missed doing something.

Thanks,
tlcmd (aka Dick)

Please allow me to repose the question in as simple a manner as I know how:
Using the Brother Printer-installer for Linux, I wish to install Brother MFC-495cw.
Step1. Download the tool.(linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-*.gz)
Step2. Open a terminal window and go to the directory you downloaded the file to in the last step.

Step3. Enter this command to extract the downloaded file:

Command: gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-*.gz
Step4. Get superuser authorization with the "su" command or "sudo su" command.

Step5. Run the tool:

Command: bash linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-* Brother machine name

My question: What do I put into the command lines for *.*.*.*.*?

Thank you
tlcmd (aka Dick)

Ask a Question