Can non-OEM refills damage my printer ?

Hi,

I have read warnings from HP that using HP cartridges re-filled with generic ink, can not only result in poor print quality but also damage my printer. Can this be true? I can believe that a generic ink could clog up a cartridge and give poor quality but I can't see how it could affect the printer itself.My understanding is that the connection between the printer and the cartridge is purely via the electrical contacts, so no matter how messed up the cartridge becomes if I just remove the cartridge and replace it with a genuine OEM one then printing should be fine. Is this true? For reference my printer is a HP PSC750 but I would assume the same is true of all injets from all manufacturers ?

Thanks,

Usjes.

There is good ink out there & there is crap ink out there.
For most printers, ther is nothing under the printhead path that could get damaged by an ink leak. A leak would be the big issue for damage.

Some of what HP is doing is trying to make you want to buy at their inflated prices.
I refill as a business, and when I buy a printer for testing my refills, I don't open the new cartridges. I will sell those to a customer and use refills only.

Good ink makes all the difference.
Good refill technique is also essential.
A lot of cartridges get overfilled, people tend to want to put in as much as possible.
The carrtidges are made to run with a maximum amount of ink. Any more and you get streaking , dripping and all sorts of troubles.

When you can buy a new printer for less than you can but the HP inks - refilling is the only way to go.

Pick the right refill supplier

My advice for you is to get the right refill supplier. Refill inks saves you lots of money, but it would cost you a printer if you choose the wrong one.

I am not sure where you are from, but you may always try gather the local refill inks brands. Google them and check users' comments of them. You may end up getting what you need.

Hope it helps.

Hi,

I have read warnings from HP that using HP cartridges re-filled with generic ink, can not only result in poor print quality but also damage my printer. Can this be true? I can believe that a generic ink could clog up a cartridge and give poor quality but I can't see how it could affect the printer itself.My understanding is that the connection between the printer and the cartridge is purely via the electrical contacts, so no matter how messed up the cartridge becomes if I just remove the cartridge and replace it with a genuine OEM one then printing should be fine. Is this true? For reference my printer is a HP PSC750 but I would assume the same is true of all injets from all manufacturers ?

Thanks,

Usjes.

Hi,

Compatible ink/toner cartridges hardly harm your printer as long as you choose the high quality ones. If you are interested, you may check us at loveofficestuffs.com We sell very high quality compatible/ remanufactured toner/ink cartridges.

OEM's are notorious for using the FUD technique (fear, uncertainty and doubt). If you buy from a reputable supplier you can be pretty sure that you have a reputable product.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question