Canon PIXMA MP160 E5 Error

So I've got a Canon PIXMA MP160 All-In-One printer that's about 3 years old. I recently purchased 'seller refurbished' PG-50 & CL-51 ink cartridges but upon inserting them I get a E5 error on the display of the printer.

I've been looking around the web to see what this error means & it basically means 'ink cartridges not recognized'.

Anyway, there appears to be a way to get rid of the E5 error which goes as following:
1/ Turn off the canon printer
2/ Hold down the Stop/Reset button
3/ Not releasing the Stop/Reset button, hold down the Power button, now release the Stop/Reset button
4/ Not releasing the Power button, double click Stop/Reset button and release both the Power & Stop/Reset button - doesn't matter in which order
5/ Click Stop/Reset button four times
6/ Click the Power button to confirm the selected action (reset counter absorber)

This all works perfectly, and the E5 error is gone but the printer appears as 'offline' on my computer. I've tried it on both Mac OS X & Windows with both showing the printer as offline after I do all this.

If I unplug & re-plug the power cable, then power on the printer, the E5 error comes back but the printer will no longer come up as 'offline' on the computer.

Any ideas as to how I could fix this? I could return my newly purchased refurbished cartridges but the reason I bought these cartridges was because my previous refills [that I refilled myself] stopped working [yes they used to work fine before]; due to this exact error so I thought maybe the cartridges had a problem but it appears to be something with the printer instead.

Any ideas?

Ask a Question