"Ghost lines" in HP Laserjet 3050-- how do I fix this?

Hello,

I use this HP LaserJet 3050 All-in-One (printer, scanner, fax) only for printing. I only print a single sheet at a time, never a bunch of blank papers waiting to be printed.

The machine does the annoying thing of producing "ghost lines" -- somewhat fainter lines -- that are repeats of what's already been printed on the page. These can appear in blank areas or on top of well printed lines/text. My HP toolbox says that there's adequate toner.

How is this fixed? [Note: My sole OS is Linux, not Windows.]

Ghosting usually occurs when there is an issue with the toner cartridge, transfer roller or fuser. You can test if it is the toner cartridge or fuser by running a half page test. As the paper comes out of the tray and into the machine, power the printer off. Make sure the paper has not entered the fuser yet. This may take several tries to get the timing down. If the ghosting occurs PRIOR to entering the fuser, then the most likely cause is the toner cartridge. If there is no ghosting, it is most likely the fuser.

Ask a Question