Help with Black Ink

I have an Epson xp 410
It won't print text black ink but it will print photo black ink. It's not a separate cartridge so I don't believe it is clogged, so is there a setting?

I can't print a doc from word but I can print a photo downloaded to my computer.
Also I received a concert ticket through my email as a pdf. Everything printed besides my info < black text ink >
Help??

Last edited:
I would suggest running a printer test page which you can find on the internet.

This will tell you which cartridge you're struggling with.

It looks like it is the black cartridge, have your tried another one if you have a spare. Also may be worth checking if the ink cartridge is blocked in the black. If you go to your settings and run a couple of cleaning cycles this should get the heads flowing again.

I have done a page test. Black doesn't print. I have put in a different black still the same issue. I have narrowed it down to the printer settings have to be set to best quality to print anything in text black ink.
Nothing is clogged I have done head cleans.

Ok thanks. So i'm assuming you're using the no genuine compatible inks? If so then it's the best option when using these inks. However it's strange that even on a test print you get no black, usually regardless of this you should still get some faint printing. I would try and get a refund on those blacks and tell that too whoever you got them from, they should be under guarantee if they are faulty.

Correct non oem ... how cant it be faulty if it prints black in high quality only... it confuses me.

Have you tried printing in grey scale on your prints rather than colour to see if they print out?

It would look like your printer is slightly blocked on the black, high quality just means it releases more ink, but for the savings your making on using the originals, it's worth just printing in high quality just from the amount your're saving.

It's very strange I agree, especially if you don't get any ink out of a test page. If you have had the ink for a long time, it also may be that the chips are in need of an update which a new purchase should solve when you need them.

Just don't accept any printer updates which will stop you using non oem.

Thank you.
I haven't tried printing in grey scale. But it sounds as if it's a chip issue. Which would make since on the price comparison.

I've got the same problem. Printing was ok last week. This week the black won't work -and that's with a genuine Epson cartridge! Tried another cartridge, but it's just the same. Tried cleaning (many times) & a nozzle check just shows the three colours. Haven't tried greyscale though. I'm just printing in blue!

Ask a Question