Pixma MP620 excessive colour ink consumption

My MP620 gets very light usage - typically less than half a dozen pages per week, usually emails - and almost invariably I select the Greyscale property because there is no colour to be printed. In spite of this I am consuming what I consider to be unreasonable quantities of ink from the cyan, magenta and yellow cartridges.

Frequently (although not always), when I power the printer up to print a page, I get a "preparing, please wait" type of message (I can't remember the exact wording), and the machine chunters for what seems like an eternity, presumably doing some sort of cleaning operation, before eventually printing the page. I suspect it might be this procedure which is consuming my (expensive!) coloured inks.

Does anybody know of a solution to this problem?

Alternatively, can anybody recommend cheap-and-cheerful compatible colour cartridges that will work on this printer and not wreck it?

Ask a Question