Stylus Photo 1400 problem

Hi folks, new to the forum but a long-time Epson devotee and user.

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 1400 at home which is running fine when connected via USB to my desktop PC (running W10 x64).

Recently I managed to acquire a used GoFlex Home 2TB NAS which is also working great and enabling me to store and share the hundreds of thousands of photos I have taken over the years with the rest of the household. On the back of the NAS is a USB port and the manual says that if I connect a printer to it then I can make the printer available on the network - this would prevent my PC having to be switched on every time someone wants to use the printer. This feature was actually one of the reasons I got this NAS in the first place (although the extra storage space is handy).

So, I connect the printer to the port on the NAS and go into the Windows devices & printers and click on the find a new device button ... but it can't see the printer :-( I've run out of ideas to get this to work - all the latest drivers are installed.

Does anyone have any suggestions or is this printer just not network compatable?

Cheers for looking :)
Steve

Ian

Welcome to the forums Steve :).

I'm also a big fan of using a NAS - they're so handy to share things (including printers!).

I've not used a GoFlex NAS before, but on my QNAP NAS I need to go to the admin panel of the NAS in a browser and then enable printer sharing first. I had a look at the GoFlex manual, but it doesnt' mention anything about a server side configuration.

If you go to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers, then click on "add printer" - does it show on the search list? If not, can you try clicking "The printer I want isn't listed" and then try adding it by IP address (then enter the IP of your NAS)?

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the reply. Windows doesn't see the printer when it scans for new ones and when I try to add it manually that still doesn't work

I'm beginning to think the printer just won't work like this ... but can't imagine why?

I'm away from home for a few days but will try again when I'm home again on Friday.

Steve

Ian

Ah that's a shame - it may be worth checking to see if there are firmware updates available for the NAS to see if it improves printer sharing? That's the only thing I can think of unfortunately, as it's likely a problem with the NAS rather than the printer.

Ian,

Finally got back home again and have just spent another hour working on this problem without much luck :(

I downloaded and installed the latest updates from the Seagate web site but it still doesn't work. To determine if this is a NAS fault I connected my other Epson printer via the USB port ... and it worked fine (which is flippin' annoying as it has WiFi and can be used by everyone anyway). Yes, I did turn the WiFi off to make sure it was actually working through the NAS - I may be dim but stupid I ain't (maybe) :p

Just to be on the safe side I nipped around to my local Maplins store and bought a print server - same result so it must be the printer, I think :(

At this point I'm probably going to give up. If SWMBO wants to use the printer she'll just have to turn my PC on first ... it won't kill her :eek:

Steve

Ian

Sorry to hear that it's still problematic, but thanks for reporting back :). At least it's connected to your PC :D.

Ask a Question