226/526 compatibility

Hi,

I have just moved from Canada to England and have fetched my Pixma MG 6100 with me. The cartridges for this are the 225/226. Europe uses the 525/526 cartridges in Canon printers instead. I have bought a 526 and the printer does not recognise it. I have swapped the chip over and it is still not being recognised. The cartridges look identical. I have not reset the chip but that is not the problem, I am not getting an ink low warning, just no recognition. Canon have said I need the proper cartridge but I don't believe them. Anyone have any idea? Thanks for looking.

Edit,

It is actually a 6120.

Last edited:
I have just moved from Canada to England and have fetched my Pixma MG 6120 with me.

That is a printer that can potentially make very good photo prints, especially b/w. It's similar to my MP990 with the previous generation CLI-221 carts, as both have Gray dye ink.

The cartridges for this are the 225/226. Europe uses the 525/526 cartridges in Canon printers instead. I have bought a 526 and the printer does not recognise it.

As expected, although annoying as earlier CLI-8 chipped carts didn't have this problem with USA carts being different that other parts of the world. I believe that was new with the CLI-221 generation. Bummer.

I have swapped the chip over and it is still not being recognised.
There are other printer-related forums that regularly suggest chip swapping, but ... being blunt ... that seems like a hold-your-nose work-around to the underlying problem of the CLI-226 carts being unsuitable for refilling because they are:
1. fully opaque, pretty much requiring a high accuracy digital scale and/or vacuum refilling
2. low ink capacity (9 ml vs 13 ml for the older CLI-8 carts)

The cartridges look identical.
True ... except for the chip. The "form factor" is exactly the same. That's why chip-swapping is possible.

I have not reset the chip but that is not the problem, I am not getting an ink low warning, just no recognition.

It's pretty much the same as if you put a Cyan cart in the Magenta print-head slot.

Canon have said I need the proper cartridge but I don't believe them.

Canon is 99.44% accurate, except that "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth" would be that the proper cart with the proper chip has to be used.

BTW, I've almost invariably had good experience with Canon tech support, especially for printers ... YMMV. It has been annoying when they refuse to help with getting into Service Mode, but there are acceptable reasons for that, imo.

Anyone have any idea?

Since you asked ... and apologies in advance to fans of CLI-226 and CLI-251 based printers ... I don't and won't own such printers.

As a volunteer photographer who makes lots and lots of give-away, high-quality, letter-size photo prints, my "business model" depends of refilling ink carts so that my ink cost is essentially negligible. The CLI-226 based printers "crossed the threshold" to be as refiller-hostile as the other printer manufacturers have been for years, so those printers aren't options ... at least for me.

The CLI-8 based printers were excellent for refilling, after a steep learning curve. The CLI-221 printers were much less preferred, but barely acceptable once I learned how to do vacuum refilling.

Bottom line, and being something of a broken record ... sorry ... if you live near a relatively large city and know what you doing, consider using CraigsList to get a used CLI-8 based printer.

Last edited:

Ask a Question