A printer for book publishing without breaking the bank and random other questions.

Hello,

I have been spending many hours researching different printers to buy between inkjets and laserjets, and some questions have come up, the over-arching one being, what is a good printer for printing a book? The insides will be black, white, and greyscale, and the cover will probably be color but I figure I will probably get that done professionally by a print shop.

My price range is hopefully under $500, but I can budge that. Three printers stand out so far for their great reviews and high monthly output tolerances, but there are drawbacks to each:

Hewlett Packard OJPRO8100 Wireless Color Printer

HP Officejet Pro X476dn Inkjet All-in-One Printer

Canon Laser imageCLASS MF4890dw Wireless Monochrome Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax

I would get a monochrome laserjet, but it sounds like their printing capabilities for grey scales on images and photos is poor. Is there a way to increase their print capabilities by lowering the print speed or some such?

Also I have no examples of the relatively 'poor' b/w photo quality of a laserjet... Is it really that bad? Or is it only noticeable when put up against other photos?

I have heard that ink from inkjets are normally water based and bleed, not good for a book! I saw a video however with the Hewlett Packard OJPRO8100 to modify the ink cartridges to accept bottles of ink... Are there waterproof inks that you can use in these systems?

Thanks for your help!

Ask a Question