Advice on Greetings Card printers

Hi,

A little back history first...my partner and I are starting up a small business for greetings cards and prints. We recently ordered around 350 cards with 14 different designs from a larger printing firm online (which shall remain nameless of course) which seemed like a good idea at the time.

Upon receiving the products a few days ago and having a quick glance at them before the New Years celebrations we noticed that where was around 10/12 cards with random marks, scratches, random ink blobs, etc. We though this was slightly high for an order this small, but we though nothing of it.

Last night when we actually got time to check the designs fully we noticed that a lot of the colours were off, the resolution seemed reduced and not consistence between cards, some cards seemed reddish in colour as if the pints had shifted or the machines not set up correctly and others just completely darker in colour and shade.

Of course were planning on sending complaining and sending them back asap to try and get out money back, safe to say as a first time customers of theirs they haven't shown us top quality work.

This got us to thinking why not print them ourselves and save on the out lay of having stock excess stock around? We have a Canon MG7150 at the moment which prints much better quality pictures that the prints we got off the 'professionals' and that's with cheap inks off eBay, as doing test prints with real Canon inks is very pricey and i'm too cheap :p

I suppose the real question is, what printers would you recommend for printing A6 (A5 folded) Greetings Cards and A4 Prints? Do you think the Canon MG7150 with ChromaLife100+ inks be a good idea for the prints?

Obviously money is a factor as we are only a small start up business, but if it's worth saving up a little more money to buy a better printer we would be all for that.

Thanks for any help in advance,
Scott

Ask a Question