[SOLVED] Brother 3290CDW - NO TONER error after replacing

Hello all,

We have replaced our toner cartridges and now get the NO TONER message. We have done all the tricks\how to guides to no avail. The toner levels are being displayed so I would think that the cartridge has been recognized by the printer. We are at 2% life on the drums however. Would this cause the NO TONER error?

TIA

BFB

No, it wouldn't cause this error. You can, however, reset the drum counters and get more life out of them - just remember to do this again if you replace them when the image quality begins to deteriorate.
  1. Make sure the machine is turned on.
  2. Make sure the machine's cover is closed.
  3. Hold down OK as you press the Up arrow key.
  4. Press OK to select Drum.
  5. Press the Up or Down arrow key to display the toner color for the drum unit you just replaced, and then press OK.
  6. Press the Up arrow key to reset the drum counter.
I have seen this problem a number of times in the last week and have yet to resolve it. I plan to spend some time in the workshop today and will contact my colleagues to find out if they have the solution. I suspect it's a hardware fault as we sell hundreds of third party tn-243 and 247 cartridges every week so I'd know if it was a firmware issue by now. Cleaning contacts or replacing the cartridges (with either OEM or third party) doesn't seem to rectify the problem - though I've not yet tried a full set of OEM as it's cheaper for me to replace the printer than it is to send a customer a full set of OEM cartridges!

I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

No, it wouldn't cause this error. You can, however, reset the drum counters and get more life out of them - just remember to do this again if you replace them when the image quality begins to deteriorate.
  5. Press the Up or Down arrow key to display the toner color for the drum unit you just replaced, and then press OK.
I have seen this problem a number of times in the last week and have yet to resolve it. I plan to spend some time in the workshop today and will contact my colleagues to find out if they have the solution. I suspect it's a hardware fault as we sell hundreds of third party tn-243 and 247 cartridges every week so I'd know if it was a firmware issue by now. Cleaning contacts or replacing the cartridges (with either OEM or third party) doesn't seem to rectify the problem - though I've not yet tried a full set of OEM as it's cheaper for me to replace the printer than it is to send a customer a full set of OEM cartridges!

We put in new drums. Same error persisted and would not clear. Found the 'old' cartridges and slipped them into the new drums. Doing so allowed us to clear the NO TONER error and reset the drums. This worked for a day. A tech came in, unplugged the printer and when he plugged it back in...NO TONER error. Went through all the processes again and error won't clear. At least we have new drums! Genuine toner on the way. Hope that helps.

My self (and a lot of others according to search on the internet) has experienced the "No toner" problem with the DCP-L3550CDW. In my case it has affected non-Brother toners (both new and used) successfully used before, until the "No toner" message (which effectively blocks all usage of the printer) appeared out of the blue a few days ago.

Common to many having the "No toner" problem with the DCP-L3550CDW seems to be that they have the S 1.59 firmware version. So do I, with the firmware sometime in the past (may be recently) being automatically updated to that version.

I have contacted Brother support concerning this issue today, and their response was (not surprising ...) that they would not accept any guarantee claim when a non-Brother toner was involved. This is of course compliant with their conditions for use, stating that they can't guarantee successful operation when a non-Brother toner is used. However, this problem seems to be more repeatable than occasional non-successful operation.

As a long time printer user I have over the years been used to windows popping up now and then telling me to use original toners and ink, and it is also reasonable by a manufacturer to reject any guarantee claim concerning printing quality when a non-original toner is used, but this appears to be something else.

Has anybody found out how to resolve this "No toner"-problem using non-Brother toners? If so, I would be very happy to hear about it!

BFB

We put in new drums. Same error persisted and would not clear. Found the 'old' cartridges and slipped them into the new drums. Doing so allowed us to clear the NO TONER error and reset the drums. This worked for a day. A tech came in, unplugged the printer and when he plugged it back in...NO TONER error. Went through all the processes again and error won't clear. At least we have new drums! Genuine toner on the way. Hope that helps.
If you go to the Start menu and find Brother in the list of installed apps, the status monitor app (I can't remember what it's called) will identify which toner isn't making contact with the chip reader or is otherwise faulty. Replacing that toner should clear the fault.

How to manage this by the DCP-L3510CDW? i've allready switch 2 times the cartridges and get still the same message: place tonercartridge back. Begins to be desperate. (sight)

THIS IS REAL.... I have confirmed the firmware/disable-ware presence at work. I had a mix of OEM and generic cartridges then after an update I started having the error. After swapping generic cartridges for old OEM that were empty, the error went away. VERY Interesting indeed.

I "got around" the hardware issue. I shouldn't have to do what I did, to use a generic cartridge. Now some generic's will accommodate "the workaround" but others require more skill/craftsmanship to do the same "work around." As for what that is: Get both your OEM cartridge and Generic side by side look them over VERY closely and you'll figure out what needs to go where. Some generic's are not as easy since if they are a larger more visible operation to Brother and others that play this game, it's obvious Brother and the like, have had influence in the generics designs to make it harder to "do" what you NOW have to use them. Now myself and most reasonable people would fully expect that a generic cartridge not perform the same way as the OEM, but to be disabled? Private property disabled after purchase for using a non-branded cartridge? Private property...disabled...after purchase... More on that later...

Okay it is later...

XEROX the company whose shoulder's you (Brother and any other that plays this disable ware game) stand upon, what if they decided tomorrow that every printer in the world that wasn't of Xerox brand but used Xerography no longer functioned via a registry patch, until purchasing rights to use, xerography? It would be pretty bad. Customers bailing out on you (Brother), couldn't sell your hardware for scrap. Brother you have essentially done just that by disabling private property. You are trying to do with cartridges what Microsoft tried with Web Browsers in the 90's. How did it go for them? That little company in Washington? With their tiny legal budget?

The consumer's right to repair is now legal precedent. The right to be able to choose consumables, like toner and ink knowing that the generic would likely function at a lesser grade than the original is a not rocket science. It is how the rest of the civilized world works.

Ask a Question