brother hl-2035 do i need to replace the drum or just the cartidge

Toner refill failed brother hl-2035 do i need to rplc the drum or just the cartridge?

Hi there,

Yesterday I tried to use a refill toner kit on my starting cartridge that came with my Brother 2035 laser printer.

Thing is, that I'm completely new to all this and was completely taken in by the advertising claims and video for the toner refill which assured me it was easy and simple. I have to admit that it didn't even cross my mind that it wouldn't work - I thought it was the 'done thing'.

Anyway as you may have guessed, it didn't work: all the prints come out very dirty on the back and with nasty big bands sideways across them on the front. Tried cleaning the inside mirror and the wire on the cartridge by moving the little switch up and down (following Brother's own cleaning instructions) but no joy.

So, I guess I'm £18 down (not happy, but I guess we learn from experience?). So before I throw good money after bad and get taken in again, I wanted to ask the advice of the people on this forum.

1st: is there anyway at all the cartridge can be cleaned or salvaged (not holding my breath but for £18 its worth asking right? ) I don't need spotless prints, just good enough for copy editing.

2nd: Is the whole printer likely to be shot now, or will replacing the cartridge be enough to get it working again?

3rd: Same for the drum? Will I need to replace the drum along with the cartridge or is the cartridge alone enough? (for the combined cost of that I'm not far off the cost of a new printer).

Sorry for the long post, but like I say I'm completely new to this; first laser printer and first time changing a toner cartridge. Many thanks indeed to anyone who can offer me any advice.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Ask a Question