Brother HL-2270DW

Hello, I purchased a brand new Brother HL-2270DW. It wasn't quite D.O.A., but it would not even get past one of the very first steps in the manual: printing the "test page." All of the LED lights were flashing, and it was simply unresponsive—and after a very, very lengthy sounding warm-up period.

Then I decided to try the setup regardless, which did succeed; however, the lights continued to flash and the printer was unresponsive to any print jobs I sent.

BUT then I found a temporary fix (below) in an Amazon review. It appears to be some kind of reset for low toner indication. It did work—but only temporarily.

The problem now is that the printer requires this annoying, mildly confusing reset every single time when switching on—and sometimes even after it sits idle for just several minutes.

So. . . . Is there A. anyone who encountered a similar problem from day 1 after purchase of this model?? and/or B. anyone who knows of a more permanent solution to this issue??

P. S. I successfully installed the latest firmware update, but that didn't fix it. I also installed the latest drivers, but I'm guessing it's not a driver issue—since, again, the flashing lights occurred right out of the box before even hooking it up or setting up the wireless print feature. I do also wonder if the printer simply was damaged, since it came from the good gorilla-stomping folks at UPS and with virtually no extra shipment packaging besides the retailer box w/ the two Styrofoam pieces.

Thank you so much for any help!

*The very temporary fix found on Amazon:
1. Open front cover & leave open.
2. Turn Printer off.
3. Hold GO button while turning P on.
4. Immediately release GO when lights on.
5. Press GO 2 x's.
6. When all lights on, press GO 5 x's.
7. Wait for red Error light flash.
8. Close cover.

EDIT / UPDATE ................................................................................................................

Since I know how to access the printer's web interface, now I have some additional, relevant info. . . .

My printer web interface homepage shows "Error E50 Service Call." And the error history in the web interface's Maintenance Info. shows repeated items: "Fuser Malf" and "Fuser Error."

This thread [link posting not allowed:(] has a post by "bookmaker" w/ an easy fix for "fuser" related errors. Unfortunately, his solution is for a different model w/ different buttons, so his precise instructions will not help for this HL 2270DW model. . . .

So, again, this makes me wonder if I just received a "dud." Apparently, Brother seems to make their share of duds--and that lack of shipping packaging continues to make me skeptical.

BUT I'm willing to entertain trying a fix like bookmaker's if any users here want to suggest something.

Thanks so much again for any help!

I'll give this another few days for feedback; otherwise, I may just take advantage of my still open window for an Amazon return. . . .

Last edited:
Hello,

What i can recommend is to contact Brother support Directly to see what they recommend doing. Since you're still within warranty, i'd recommend doing that and getting them to either 1. fix it or 2. replace it. If it does end up getting fixed via a series of troubleshooting please let us know how it was done to help solve future issues for other customers. Thanks!

Adrian Watson- Technical Support, SuppliesOutlet

Ask a Question