Brother HL-4040CN magenta streaks

I have followed the instructions on the brother website here:- http://www.brother-usa.com/FAQs/Solution.aspx?FAQID=200000024035&Keyword=#Step_3 including downloading and printing a test page.
Of the four colour block printed I get a dark magenta streak across one edge of the Magenta colour block and the "Green" colour block but not Cyan or Yellow.
I removed the drum unit and found an excessive amount of Magenta toner had somehow leaked out of the cartridge. (These are Brother high capacity originals not third party or refills). I managed to hoover the surplus off the drum unit and magenta cartridge and very carefully wipe the excess of the edge of each of the rollers beneath each cartridge. I also found magenta toner along the edge of the paper feed "belt unit" which I carefully wiped away. However after running two more test prints using the same Brother test page I am still getting magenta streaks across Magenta and "Green" colour blocks although slightly less than before. I also cleaned all corona wires.
Can I safely use Isopropyl Alcohol to clean parts or will this cause damge? I have only gently wiped parts with paper towels but this does leave toner behind.
Is there something else I should be doing to correct this problem or is the printer in need of a professional clean/service?
I have attached a scan of the last test print for info

Fozzie

Attachments

• Test Print.jpg
    Test Print.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 410
Hi,

The toner may have got in the fuser unit if this the case then it will need replacing.

However the fuser may cost nearly the same as your printer. Were are you based as I maybe able to provide a printer for free.

Hi,

The toner may have got in the fuser unit if this the case then it will need replacing.

However the fuser may cost nearly the same as your printer. Were are you based as I maybe able to provide a printer for free.
Hi Robbie,
I live in Hunsdon in East Herts near the Essex border not far from Harlow.I have had the printer about three years and never had any problems until now. Have always used genuine toner.
Fozzie

Ask a Question