Brother Label Printer QL-710W Wifi Fragility

I have 3 wireless printers: an HP Envy 110, a Brother Laser printer, and the Brother QL-710W Label Printer. For the specific task of printing labels, and also to reduce that scourge of home offices, WIRES, you can't beat the Label Printer. EXCEPT, the Wifi connection, compared to the other two printers, seems excessively fragile --- difficult to maintain, and once lost, a PITA to set up again.

Two situations are common enough: a) I send --- in error --- a document to the Label Printer that is not accepted because the format is wrong. Typically, this would be a letter or other 8 x 11 document that should be going to one of the other two printers, but for whatever reason ends up being directed to the label printer. Not only does it not print, but just that act crashes the WiFi connection to the printer. The second instance is a power outage. If the printer loses power, again the Wifi must be set up. Interestingly, this is not a problem with the other two printers. Yank the power from the router or the modem, plug it back in and wait a few minutes, and those two other printers --- without any intervention --- are ready to go via Wifi.

Here's the other aspect of that problem: the only way I've found to reestablish the Wifi on the Label Printer is to treat it as a brand new installation. This means deleting it from the Printers/Devices list, putting the original installation disk back in the DVD drive, and going though the setup, which includes initially connecting the printer to the PC via a USB cable.

Does anyone know of any steps/upgrades/alternatives to improve either the robustness of the Wifi connection and/or the re initialization after Wifi is lost? Oh, yes I run Windows 10 and yes I do have the latest drivers.

Ask a Question