Brother MFC-8860DN doesn't pick paper up from tray

Hi there,

I have the faulty printer listed above. I removed the front cover of the tray to check for pressure plate movement. It has seen quite a lot of service with over 100,000 pages printed. To get rid of the "Replace drum" message, I ordered a new drum and reset the drum counter to allow for further testing without waiting for the replacement part to come (it's on its way).

In maintenance mode as well as normal mode (duplex copy), when trying to print, I can see the feed roller turning, but the pressure plate inside the tray doesn't lift, then it displays No Paper error message. Often, it also reports No Tray just after power up.

Checked:

Paper can move about 1mm lenghtwise in the tray. I checked for free movement of the plate inside the tray, and nothing is blocking it. It just appears the plate gear is not being rotated by the gear mechanism. By contrast, it has no problem picking up paper fed from the manual tray.

The service manual says on page 339 to check for the pickup solenoid and clutch gear. But it is unclear from the service manual where are these components. Attached are pictures of the gears.

Edit: after careful observation of the working gears, gear circled in blue rotates regularly. On the same picture, gear cicrled in red also shows regular movement. But when seen from the inside, gear circled in red only displays very weak and irregular movement.

I then took schematic from the service manual: P/P gear 22/B23 tray drive (Pink) only shows slight movement, doesn't rotate properly and doesn't appear to be transmitting any movement to gear 15 in the tray (Fig 3-12 p. 75 in the service manual).

These gears can't be accessed from the left pane. How do I gain access to these?

Attachments

• IMG_1194.JPG
    IMG_1194.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_1193.JPG
    IMG_1193.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 320
  • From left pane assembly.JPG
    From left pane assembly.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 323
  • From below printer.JPG
    From below printer.JPG