Brother vs HP vs Samsung

I'm currently in the market for a small, personal-use, mono-chrome laser printer. The two features I am most concerned with are wireless connectivity and automatic duplex. Speed is nice, but I don't need the fastest printer out there.

I'm currently debating between the Brother HL-2270DW ($149 at OffceMax), the HP LaserJet Pro P1102w ($99), and the Samsung ML-2525W ($149). The Brother has wireless connectivity and duplex printing while the HP and Samsung lack duplex printing. While automatic duplex printing is not absolutely necessary, it would be nice to cut my paper price in half while being kind to the earth. Regardless, wireless takes priority over duplexing.

What this seems to come down to is two factors: longevity and long term cost. As far as the Brother goes, I have no idea if they build their products to last. The reviews of that printer seem to be very good, but they don't seem to be from long term users. The same goes for the Samsung. I have experience with HP laserjets though. Roughly ten years I bought a LaserJet 6mp and it is still working to this day without a single malfunction or problem. Is HP still of this quality nearly a decade later? Which of these brands do you think is of the best build-quality?

As far as long term cost goes, which of these printers have cartridges that can be refilled on your own? It seems the Brother can, the Samsung can't, and I am not sure about the HP. Are they efficient to begin with?

Lastly, if you have any suggestions for a sub $200 monochrome laser printer that I didn't mention I would love to hear it.

Thanks in advance.

Ask a Question