Canon MP140 trouble

Recently I got an old Canon Pixma MP140. I replaced the cartridges with third party products and got the predictable trouble with that. No worries, got that sorted out, the thing was printing, copying and scanning like it was nobody's business.

Before I went on a holiday for a week I printed off some travel documents. Sweet as, all good to go. But when I came back the thing was dead in the water. After a while I stumbled across some instructions on how to reset the printer, so that's what I did.

Now it seems perfectly healthy, when I turn it on all the correct lights start to blink, it makes all the right noises, my computer sees it, the ink level indicators say all ink tanks are full and when I tell it to print something all the data is transferred to the printer.

And then nothing happens.

Well, that's not true. First I get a message that my ink cartridges have been replaced and that if the print results are unsatisfactory I should realign them using the software. So I click OK and then nothing happens.
The message appears every time I try to print something. Other than that there are no error messages on either the printer or my computer and no unusual blinking lights.

If I ask it to scan something using the printer interface, the scan menu pops up on my computer. I can change all the settings, it starts to scan, goes through all the motions and turns up a perfectly blank page. No matter what settings I use or what kind of document I put on the scanner, it turns up a blank page even though it does seem to go through a scanning cycle.
It's the same for copying things. It starts up, the scanner seems to scan and then the printer just runs a blank piece of paper through.

I have removed and reinstalled all the software and drivers, got all the latest updates from the Canon website, then I re-reset the printer. Nothing works.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on and what I can do to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance, everyone!
Ben

Ask a Question