Canon MX850 smears black ink

My Canon MX850 recently began to start printing the black ink lightly or not at all. However, the pages have portions of black ink smeared at various places on them. When I remove the print head, the bottom of the print head is usually covered with black ink, as well as some of the internal parts of the printer. When I remove the print head and clean it real well and clean the printer, it works well for a short time and then back to the same problem within a few days. I have inspected the large black cartridge and it appears fine. Any suggestions.

I infer you are having problems with the PGI-5 black pigment cartridge, rather than the CLI-8-Black dye cart.

* Nozzle check ok? The grid for the PGI-5 is very, very helpful to see if there are any clogs.

* If nozzle check flawed, avoid printing until resolved, to reduce risks of fried print-head.

* Are you using OEM pigment ink?

* If not, is the ink from a reputable vendor? Does the problem go away with an OEM PGI-5 cart?

* Some no-name vendors put much thinner dye ink in the PGI-5 cart. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

* Or worse, it could be diluted ink (pigment or dye). That could explain what you are seeing.

* Do you have several PGI-5 carts, and some behave better than others?

Tips to stop ink smears:
Check to make sure your paper, labels, envelopes, or whatever you are printing on is facing the proper direction.
Double check on the package of your print medium that the material is laser printable or call the manufacturer.
Go into your printer preferences and change the paper type to a heavy gauge material like "Card Stock" or "Heavy Paper".
Remove the cartridge and shake it gently from left to right.
Replace the toner cartridge with a new one or one that works to check if that is the problem.
If all else fails try to replace the fuser.

Ask a Question