Canon Pixma iP 3000 color problems

Dear All,

I've had my Canon Pixma iP 3000 for a long, long time and its done a wonderful job so far. Now suddenly it has problems printing color correctly. Everything looks sepia or orange-ish or red-ish...

I did all possible cleaning routines and even changed all the color cartridges but nothing changed. The nozzle check in black and CMY looks fine except that the on the left side where it should print 2 black and gray rectangles with the letters "6C", "6C", "6M", "6M" and "6Y" in-between, those letters and rectangles are light and dark sepia-brown instead of gray and black. The other long, horizontal color bars have the right color and look fine, though.

Any ideas?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Kurt

Last edited:
Something is almost certainly wrong, so don't do anything except nozzle checks or head cleaning ( or alignments) until it is resolved. The two rectangles on the side should definitely be black.

Are you using Canon oem ink, or non-oem ink?

Here's something I've done ... instead of using plain copy paper for the nozzle check, try using an inexpensive glossy inkjet paper. You can often see more of what is going on with inkjet paper.

Has something changed since you were getting good results?

Problem solved...

Thanks for the reply.
The reason for all those problems was quite simple. I erroneously bought a photo cyan cartridge instead of the required "just" cyan.
As soon as I put in a cyan cartridge everything was fine :)

Kurt

Thanks for the follow-up ... and humility to admit PEBKAC :)

There are some definite advantages to the old BCI-6 generation of printers, but a definite disadvantage is getting cartridges mixed up.

BTW: most of my "fleet of printers" are CLI-8 generation with chipped cartridges. I've thought about getting an older BCI-6 generation printer from CraigsList so I could experiment with putting the same ink color in all the print-head "slots" to see what the pure color is. That's a hassle with CLI-8 printers.

Ask a Question