Canon PIXMA MP510: power supply defective or not?

Hi there,

My Canon PIXMA MP510 does not switch on anymore, nothing happens and no lights.
According to the service manual either the power supply board or the main board/logic board will be defective.
Between the power supply and the main board there is a 5 wire cable. According to the service manual this is the pinout:

J503
1 - Motor power supply, +32V (output)
2,4 - GND
3 - Head power supply, +24V (input)
5 - Power supply control signal (output)

N.B. The cable between power supply and logic board is in mirror view, so 1-2-3-4-5 on one side is 5-4-3-2-1 on the other side.
This is what I measure on the pins of the power supply unit, with the cable disconnected:

1 - 7.5V
3 - 10V
5 - 0V

I looks like the power supply is in "low power mode", because the control signal (pin 5) is 0V.
Any suggestion on how to solve this?

Last edited:
Reading some other forum posts on Canon printer PSU's, I understand I can force the PSU to "normal mode" by applying a voltage to pin 5. So I did that, by bridging pin 3 and pin 5. And yes, normal voltage on pin 1 (32V) and pin 3(24V)! So the power supply must be all right.
But after connecting it again to the logic board: nothing...
So I guess the logic board is the problem. I do not see a possibility to repair this board, furthermore, I read a bad head could have damaged the logic board. So I will put the printer in the garbage now I guess.

Ask a Question