Canon Pixma MX892 is a waste of money

Do not buy Canon Pixma MX892 printers. Canon does not stand behind their warranty. And there are enough people out there frustrated with this one that there is actually a class action lawsuit forming against Canon for failure to honor warranty with this product.

My Canon Pixma MX892 printer is less than a year old and cost $200. It doesn't work now. Error Code U052. Went and did my homework on how to get it fixed. Took it to several Canon authorized service centers for a free exam. Nothing could be done. Went to Canon directly. Canon wants to charge me a "discounted" rate of "$70 for 7 days of unlimited service" to send me to their website for instructions on how to correct the problem and if that doesn't work they send out a technician. I already had the printer checked out by several qualified technicians and they ALL said "Canon these days is junk. They didn't use to be but they are now." What a waste of money.

The printer error code U052 says "The type of print head is incorrect. Install the correct print head." That's funny. I took the print head out and placed it in someone else's still working exact same model and it worked perfectly so it isn't the print head. (Irony my in-law's Pixma MX892 in another state just failed yesterday with same error code. ) The error code has rendered the printer useless. No scanning ability, etc.

I spent $37 with a Just Answer technician 2 evenings ago, who after much detailed trouble shooting told me, "All I do is work with networks and printers for corporate America. Canon office and personal printers are recently flawed in design and performance. I would never recommend them these days. They used to be great but their average failure rate now is about 2 years and sometimes less. It's almost as if they are programmed to fail, forcing you to buy a new printer." He said, "One of the design flaws of your printer is that the ink may build up and cause just enough of an overload and heat and send it back through the contact head, frying the cheaper circuits on the boards that Canon now uses. He also said, "The error code U052 is irrevocable and Canon knows it." When you call their support team they make you jump through the hoops by claiming you will get guaranteed results with their technician.

Here's how it works. You spend the $70, go to their website, do everything they tell you to, when the printer still fails, then they send the technician to your house for no extra charge, and when that fails they finally admit failure and give you a $75 voucher to purchase another Canon printer. So you're out the $200 for the dud printer, the $70 for the "guaranteed fix" and then the difference between $75 and $200 to buy a new one which is $125. And your buying another printer that's "guaranteed to fail!" Yeah! The grand total Canon ripped you off...$405.

No thank you, Canon. I'm done with you. The amazing power of US free market and consumerism allows me to take my business elsewhere!! And if you like spending your money wisely, you'll do the same.

This consumer warning and tip provided at no charge, courtesy of someone burned by this company. :(

Just so you know, Canon does NOT charge for technical support for in-warranty products. If you are being charged for support, then you are not talking to Canon. Canon also does NOT have an on-site service for consumer products. If you are being offered that service by someone for a price (or even free), then they do NOT work for Canon.

The official Canon Website is:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/home

The official Canon phone numbers can be found here:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/contact_by_phone

Be ware of support websites and phone numbers that claim to be Canon certified technical support or something similar. If a support website supports brands other than Canon, then they are not affiliated with Canon.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question