Canon printer for greeting card and calendar start-up company

Hi all,

Myself and my other half have decided to try and turn our hobbies into a small business. I am into photography and she is into arts & crafts and is good at making greeting cards, calendars etc. We want to take high-quality and bespoke pictures and turn them into calendars for desks (small ones), walls (A4 size) and also do some A3 size (or thereabouts) printouts for walls (small posters basically).

The pictures will be unique / quirky and we are going for the kind of products you might see on Etsy (one-off type stuff that is a bit different to the mass-produced commercial products).

We are going to be printing our own pictures out so obviously will need a printer. I have done some reading around on the Internet and the Canon Pixma Pro series comes up time and again at being great at producing great glossy images full of colour and detail. The reviews make it sound exactly like the sort of thing we want, and the printer seems a bit more costly than others but not horrendously so (it's about £350 inc. VAT and delivery). Canon ink is pricey but it seems there are third party refill kits that reduce the price down to something sensible.

However, there are plenty of other Canon printers as well, that appear to meet our criteria and also cost less. E.g. the Pixma iP8750 also prints A3 size and appears to get good reviews but is a bit cheaper at £200.

So I am not sure what to get that meets our criteria...be able to print up to A3, professional quality colour as well as black & white photos, duplex printing (ideally, as needed for calendars), £200-300 range (could go a bit higher) and affordable inks, or the ability to use good quality third-party inks or refills, which the Canon range seems to be able to do.

I'm not sure if anyone can recommend something with the above? The Canon Pixma Pro 100 is towards the top end of my budget but the reviews rave about it so it looks like it would be a good choice.

Any advice welcome!

Thanks
Rob

Ask a Question