Do all 3-in-1's have minimal print software?

I'm wondering if all 3-in-1's have minimal print software and scan software. Even when set to 'Advanced'. I'm used to an old HP (930c) which is only a printer, and an old UMAX Astra 3450, which is only a scanner. I was able to get excellent results from these two pieces of hardware, which both had many settings in advanced mode. With all the developments over the past 15 years, I was hoping that maybe even a simple new 3-in-1 would be at least equivalent, if not better.

I was given a used Brother 3-in-1 MFC-J4510DW. It's got lots of modern features (like being wireless) and does a good job, but I find even the advanced mode to be very Mickey Mouse..:-(.... Like only having six choices for types of paper. And not having a setting for paper thickness. But most of all, it doesn't seem to have a live preview for all the image adjustments. Is this standard in 3-in-1's?

Is there any universal, more professional printer software that can be used on 3-in-1's (comparable to what VueScan is for scanners)? Or are there other low to middle range 3-in-1's that have more professional software? I would like to be able to set color calibration and use color profiles.

Thanks very much for any help!
Janet

Ask a Question