Enlarging text on printer

Hi all.

I want to understand what are the variables affecting the clarity/ quality of text when enlarged via a laser printer by 4000% (yes 4000%!).

I have used a number of documents that contain different fonts and enlarged them by 4000%. Some fonts retain their quality with more distinct edges than others. Some fonts appear very irregular and the letters don't maintain their shape. For example, on some text fonts a 'd' appears jaggedy, bubbly and irregular on what is supposed to be the long straight line of the d. What is causing this?

Also why are the same text numbers and letters displayed differently?

Having enlarged some documents, I also want to understand why there are wayward specs of ink (that appear a reasonable size at 4000%) on the paper. Of course in reality I appreciate they are tiny specs but never the less I would like to understand why they appear on the paper? (I have a basic understanding of the way a laser printer works).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Rob :)

Ask a Question