Epson C88 chatter

I had a paper jam and now when it prints I hear a chattering noise. Seems worse when I have heavy matte paper selected. Looking for some causes and ways to fix that problem. I can feel vibration on the outside of the case and it seems to be when the ink carriage is traveling. Anything there need lubricated?

Last edited:
I note you mentioned 'Heavy matte', some printers *may* be 'piccy' when using other brands of paper, I would suggest try a thinner card stock.... or try Epson brands at the least.

What I suspect is the paper might be too thick for the printer. This link may help

Dave

I don't think so. Never had issues before and I did a lot of decals, which are even thicker. I think it is something with the ink head travel. When the head travels is when I hear and feel the chatter. Maybe something with the travel drive. I found a manual and will see what I can learn there. It seems Epson mostly makes all in ones and I do not want that. I see that Canon makes a variety of single use printers that do a decent job with photos. I have had this printer for years and it is probably near the end of life. I know I can buy a key and get rid of that, but if the printer is about worn out I need to think about a new one if I cannot find the problem.

Additional info: It only chatters when the print head it traveling away from the home position.

Ha, could it be the head hitting the paper?? Can you defeat the lid cover switch so you can see what is happeing as you print, a match stick perhaps, keeping hands well away, how about some paper debris perhaps in the line of travel??

You really need to see what is happening, thats my line of thought? The place where the head parks at rest are usually spring loaded aren't they, could it be this I wonder?

Dave

Ha, could it be the head hitting the paper?? Can you defeat the lid cover switch so you can see what is happeing as you print, a match stick perhaps, keeping hands well away, how about some paper debris perhaps in the line of travel??

You really need to see what is happening, thats my line of thought? The place where the head parks at rest are usually spring loaded aren't they, could it be this I wonder?

Dave
The chatter is while traveling and does not do it constantly.
Is there anything that would need lubricated. I did find this piece of waxy type paper at the far end of the travel for the print head. It is 5.5" long and not quite 5/8" wide.

Attachments

• 20230402_151259.jpg
    20230402_151259.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 6
Strange, but happens often. I turned off the printer and then turned it back on and now all is well. No chatter printing hi-res photos. Should be the first thing we try when there is a computer related problem.

Ask a Question