Epson Stylus 1400 Problems

I'm a screen printer and have used nothing but these Epson Stylus 1400's. My latest one just started blinking red, alternating between the paper button and ink button. Called Epson and it's going to cost about $120 to fix, plus I'd have to drive 2.5 hours to get there, then come back in a couple days :(

So, I'm scrambling, gotta get this thing going. I pulled out my old Epson 1400 which had a broken pin (update: it's called the "chip contact" or "cartridge holder") so I swapped that with the one that just started acting up. Now I've got a solid red ink light. So I pulled all my black cartridges and replaced with original Epson cartridges to verify it would atleast work, that didn't help. I've still got the solid red light. It says my cartridges are not compatible even though they are the correct Epson's for this printer.

I also tried unclogging the nozzles, which appeared to go well. Although my Cyan was pretty blocked, couldn't even suck air through it. Still it says all cartridges need to be replaced.

Any one got any ideas before I go spend $300 on an Artisan, and another 50 to convert to all black?

Thanks guys,

Last edited:
Ok, so I found a reset program and ran it successfully to get the blinking likes to stop, and got the printer to just one solid red light on the ink button, but I can't get it to clear. Any ideas?

Thanks guys for any advice you can lend.

Thank you. I'm definitely scrambling here trying to get this fixed. Gotta be printing today. Just can't help but think this solid red ink light can be fixed. I got to thinking maybe I got the ribbon/stip (whatever it's called) that connects to the cartridge holder dirty when swapping it with my older 1400.

Thank you. I'm definitely scrambling here trying to get this fixed. Gotta be printing today. Just can't help but think this solid red ink light can be fixed. I got to thinking maybe I got the ribbon/stip (whatever it's called) that connects to the cartridge holder dirty when swapping it with my older 1400.
Mine is doing the same thing. Did you ever figure it out?

Mine is doing the same thing. Did you ever figure out how to fix it?
Try resetting your Epson 1400 by turning it off, unplugging it from the power source, and leaving it for a few minutes. Then, plug it back in and turn it on. This might help clear any temporary glitches.

Ok, so I found a reset program and ran it successfully to get the blinking likes to stop, and got the printer to just one solid red light on the ink button, but I can't get it to clear. Any ideas?

Thanks guys for any advice you can lend.
I'm not one to revive 9 year old posts but there hasn't been a correct answer yet. The printer wants the exact ink cartridges you put in it before you cleaned the printhead. It's either that or a ribbon cable or F1 fuse blew. This error appears on Stylus Photo 1400 printers as well as Artisan 1430 printers when you unplug the printer to service it, and plug it back in not in the exact state it was in when it lost power. It knows something was changed and performs the way you're describing.

This is a very easy mistake to make if you're rushing or have multiple things going on during the cleaning process. Even if the cartridge you left out after cleaning is out of ink, the printer NEEDS to power off and back on in the exact state it was in or else it will hang like this until it get's the original ink or if you're lucky a new genuine ink set may fix it. I don't suggest going out and buying a set to find out though.

Ask a Question