Epson Stylus 3000 head crash

Hello everyone.

The head (CR Unit) in my Epson Stylus Colour 3000 has begun crashing. It begins printing ok but then makes a grating and crashing noise as if it is colliding with something underneath near the print heads. This throws the CR Unit out of horizontal alignment and the print is ruined.

When it goes for its little print head wipe, which it does during print jobs, it then smashes into the end stop because it's not where it thinks it is.

The printer is about 12 years old.
I tried using the thick paper setting but that didn't help.
I don't think it's the HP sensor because it detects the home position happily.
I can detect no problems with the timing belt.
The ink delivery works flawlessly.
The paper pickup is dodgy, but then it has been for years.
I thought it might be that the rubber head cleaner had aged and gone stiff, but it began making the jamming noise on the far left of the carriage during the last print job I tried.
I can detect no rust on the CR guide shaft.
I can find no obstacles to the movement of the CR Unit when moving it manually along the width of the carriage.
I tried raising the paper eject frame unit with washers, but that didn't help.
I have not been able to detect any places where the crash has caused damage.

I will try lubricating the CR guide shaft, but other than that I can't think of anything that might be causing a problem. Unless the problem is with the CR motor itself: if it is rusting or losing power.
I have not checked the condition of the main board.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ask a Question