Epson SX438 missing segment in nozzle check

Hi,

I have an 'old but gold' SX438 that I would like to keep going as long as possible because it suits my needs and is very compact. It has an issue where it is missing a single segment in the black nozzle check that's in the same place every time, and I can't figure out what's causing this. In my mind a blocked nozzle would result in missing/feint print across the page, not just in one small area.

Can anyone shed any light on this issue?

Many thanks

Image attached. The same part of the test pattern is missing every time, and yes I have tried cleaning the nozzles.

Attachments

• img091.jpg
    img091.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 6
Replying to myself here

So I did another nozzle clean which fixed the black problem but then the magenta started showing gaps (huh??)

I replaced the magenta cartridge with a cheap 3rd party one from ebay but it had gaps in different places. I did another nozzle clean and guess what....it's fully working again!

I gave up with this printer months ago due to random gaps in the test pattern, but I guess this proves that it does and can work, and that the problems were a random combination of blockages and cheap 3rd party cartridge failure.

Ask a Question