[SOLVED] Epson WF-3640 "Downgraded (It cannot be updated)"

Epson WF-3640. I have it set up on Wi-Fi.

My computer "sees" my printer. I can print and scan fine using the computer via wi-fi. (2017 Dell laptop, Windows 10 uptodate.)

PROBLEM: My printer no longer can "see" my computer. I cannot use the scan button on my printer and send the image to my computer. For a long time, it worked fine, then I had some tech support done on my computer and the printer has not seen my computer since. (I can use the scan button and send the image to a thumb drive.)

The wi-fi connection is "excellent". The printer, the router, the computer are all within 12 inches.

I found an Epson Firmware Update for my printer. Partially through the process I got this message: Status Downgraded (It cannot be updated)

I have tried the ethernet cable route. No change. I have reset my printer to factory and started over a couple of times. It didn't help anymore the second time than it did the first.

Also, when I use the printer scan button, the ADF does not work. It used to.

Thank you for your assistance. I have been struggling with this for months.

LB
WF-3640 downgraded.JPG

The note "It cannot be updated" usually means printer already up-to-date.
It appears your printer is not set-up to your router. But then you say does not work with ethernet cable.

Try this:
Control Panel - > Devices & Printers -> Right click WF-3640 Icon -> Select Remove Device
Re-install printer using Epson Cd on Dell Laptop
Setup printer WIFI (You must have SSID and Passphrase)

Thank you for your prompt response to my query. (I apologize for the delay in replying (Life))

I have uninstalled/removed the software and reinstalled it several times, each time using a different tact (with the CD; bypassing the CD and going straight to the website; CD then website for updates, etc). Regardless: My computer always "knows" that the printer is there and from my computer I can print and scan with no problems (with both wifi and ethernet cable -- though I have disconnected the ethernet cable).

The problem remains that my printer does not "see" my computer. I have tried both wifi ("Computer not found. Check that the computer is connected to the network and try again") and "wsd" (not sure what wds is, but I pushed the button on my router and it blinked, but the printer didn't recognize it.)

I could be wrong, but I think the pertinent piece of information in the screenshot, above, is "DOWNGRADED". I do not know what was downgraded or why.

As I mentioned in my original message: This all worked seamlessly until Dell Tech Support had to tweak my computer. Might the problem be within my computer? Maybe there is a setting that I need to change that would allow the printer to "see" the laptop?

Here is more information that might be useful. From the Print info screen:

*Wi-Fi network Summary: connection : Excellent
*Connection check: The Wi-Fi/network connection is OK
--- COMMENT: It must be OK, because I can print from my laptop.
*I cannot set up "Wi-Fi Auto Connect" : Install software on your computer. Start the W-Fi setup. (I'm not sure what auto connect is -- maybe it's important?)
*Wi-Fi Network status: Obtain IP Address is set to auto. When I checked my computer's IP address, it was slightly different than what the printer shows. 192.168.0.5 vs 192.168.0.3. When I changed the IP address to the 0.3. it didn't help, so I put the setting back to auto.

*Another way I know that the printer is connected to the Wifi (as if I need "more" proof"), I can send print jobs to the printer form my phone and tablet.

*WiFi Direct Setup:
Wi-Fi Setup --> WiFi Direct Set -->
Wi-Fi Direct Status: Connection method not set -- OK
Connection Setup - changed the password --> proceed --> "Connection via wifi direct mode...Select the Wifi network (SSID) below to establish a connection to this printer." I scroll down. "SSID: DIRECT-agEPSON80" and my new password is listed. But there is nothing to select. I tap on the info on the screen but nothing happens. The only option is a Cancel button. What just happened? I hit Cancel and the job is cancelled. GREAT.
I select "Disconnect" and get this message "Wifi Diret is already disabled."

Now the problem is even worse: When I use the scan button on the printer, under select printer, "last used" is no longer an option. (Not that it made any difference, it still didn't work, but it isn't even listed anymore.) All that is listed is USB connection. (My laptop doesn't have a port for the small end of a USB 2 cable, so I cannot use that option.)

Is any of this helpful in knowing what the problem might be? Again: Might the problem be within my computer? Maybe there is a setting that I need to change that would allow the printer to "see" the laptop?

Thank you, once again. I truly appreciate your time and help. LB

Thank you for taking the time to send me the many videos on how to connect my printer to a wireless network.
My printer is in fact connected to a wireless network. The connection is excellent. I can print from my computer, my tablet and my phone over the wifi network, so I know that it works. (As I mentioned in an earlier message, I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times.)

The problem is not the network. The problem is that my Epson printer cannot "see" my computer. It doesn't know that it is connected to a computer.

BTW, I have also "restored default settings" then used wifi setup wizard to reconnect. This didn't solve anything.

(I turned off the McAfee Firewall. No change. So it isn't the firewall. And for what it's worth, Windows Defender is set to allow the printer through its firewall.)

Then there is that pesky message telling me that my printer has been DOWNGRADED??

And the scanner does work. I can scan from my computer. I can scan using the Epson buttons and send images to a memory device. I just can't scan and send images to my computer, because the printer is not connected to the printer, no printer is on the network.

I am wondering if perhaps there is a setting in my computer that is blocking the printer? Recall that everything worked fine until the Dell Tech Support tweaked my computer. So, as a last resort I am wondering if a setting is the problem. Any suggestions on that line of thought?

You state following:

"I can print from My Computer
Epson printer cannot see my computer
It doesnt know that it is connected to a computer"

If you can print from my computer then your printer can indeed see my computer. It knows
that printer is connected. Since you can scan to memory device, then scanner working properly.

Open "Epson Scan" application
Set mode to "Full Auto Mode" (at top of GUI)
Click "Customize" button
Click "File Savings Settings"
Select "My Documents" or "My Pictures" or "Other"
If "Other" selected, click Browse Button and select folder you desire scan deposit
Select "Type" as jpeg
Check Mark "open image folder after scanning"
Click "Ok"
Click OK again
Click "Scan" button

Scan Problem: You must tell Epson Scan application where in My Computer you wish scan to be deposited.
Here is you printer manual:
https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd3/cpd39368.pdf
See pages 126 -> 156.

20180917_065817.jpg 20180917_065817.jpg

As I mentioned in each of my previous messages, I know how to scan from my computer. I do it often. Here are some screen shots to show you that the printer does not "see" the computer. Also, a screen shot showing that my wifi signal is excellent. Maybe this is not helpful. Maybe it is.

Attachments

• 20180917_065824.jpg
    20180917_065824.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 559
  • 20180917_065830.jpg
    20180917_065830.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 527
  • 20180917_065833.jpg
    20180917_065833.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 502
  • 20180917_072742.jpg
    20180917_072742.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 450
Mr Barnes: Im sorry not to be addressing your scan problem.
Perhaps we should try different approach, if your are game.
Uninstall Printer as discussed previously.
Re-install Printer using Epson CD and fold-out instructions
Should problem persist, re-install Windows operating system
Beyond that, Im out of gas. Wish I could help you further.

Thank you for all kind help. Fortunately, I can scan from my computer. It isn't ideal -- the printer based wifi-ADF-scan was one of the main reasons I bought the Epson -- but I have a scanner and for that I am happy. I appreciate the time you gave to me. LB

One last thought:

Do you have Epson Scanner Driver and Scan Utility installed on your computer?
See this:

https://epson.com/Support/Printers/...ries/Epson-WorkForce-WF-3640/s/SPT_C11CD16201

Click on Epson Scanner Driver and Scan Utility 5.2.2.3

See note:
Note : To scan using the product's control panel, you must also download and install the Event Manager Utility after installing this file.

So you must have installed your computer:
1. Epson Scanner Driver and Epson Scan Utility 5.2.2.3
2. Event Manager Utility

Ruffin: I followed your suggestion. Nothing changed. Then I went to Epson and updated admin tools, software, event manager, config utility, OCR, Connect Printer, Scanner Driver, one at a time. (The Firmware update still gives me the notice that the printer is "downgraded" -- what ever that means.) I rebooted my computer and rebooted the printer.

Good news: When I use the scan buttons on the printer, my computer is now listed!!! YAY. So far so good.

Problem. As soon as I hit the button to actually complete the scan I get this message on my computer screen (see screen shot below), AND the printer message board tells me "Communication error. Check if the computer is connected." Funny it would say that, because the computer is listed as an option,so somehow it is connected. I have checked my firewall. I have gone to settings and wifi and everything is open to discovery (I live in the woods a long way from anyone, so this isn't troubling to me).

This is so close....yet so far.
What do you think? I have rebooted my computer. Turned the printer off and on and off and on (both several times.)
How can I check if the product is ready to use? What does that mean?
And yes, I can scan from my computer using the epson scan panel.
Thanks again.
LB

upload_2018-9-22_9-38-29.png

Mr Barnes:

Lets get your printer/scanner working with USB first
Connect USB only after instructed to do so.
Uninstall WF-3640 as I instructed previously. You must un-install before re-installing printer.
Re-install printer using Epson CD and following Epson Fold-out instructions.

Did you install scan driver and scan utility 5.2.2.3? Did you install Event Manager Utility?

Did you re-install operation system Windows 7 - 10? What is your Operating System?

LBarnes - this is EXACTLY my problem at the moment! we got new NBN wireless and the exact same thing has happened to me as did to you! did you end up finding the issue? i have uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times now! can print and scan FROM computer - but i need the printer to "SEE" the computers on network as we scan large documents all day, verrrrry frustrating.

While I am sorry you have the same problem, at the same time I am glad it wasn't just me or something I did.

I spent hours, HOURS, many frustrating hours, over the course of a couple of months, to no avail. I tried everything, even some crazy ideas I read on line that I probably shouldn't have done. Nothing worked.

I finally gave up and now simply use the computer to initiate scans. Not to sound "zen", but acceptance really did give me peace.

Something obvious that I "discovered" that brought (brings) me great satisfaction after a lot of frustration (maybe you already know this) :

I thought I had also lost the function to auto feed sheets for scanning multiple pages. In fact I never lost it. It is a setting on the scan interface on the computer screen. I am away from home and my computer so cannot send a screen shot or give you good directions. But there is a drop down menu with options (something like) and flat panel, AF?, and a third option.

I am sorry I don't have a better answer. Good luck.

LB

-------- Original message --------

Date: 12/11/18 3:43 PM (GMT-10:00)

To: LBarnes <[email protected]>

Subject: EPSON WF-3640 "Downgraded (It cannot be updated)" - New reply to watched thread

Printer Forums

LBarnes, CWhite912 replied to a thread you are watching at Printer Forums.

EPSON WF-3640 "Downgraded (It cannot be updated)"

LBarnes - this is EXACTLY my problem at the moment! we got new NBN wireless and the exact same thing has happened to me as did to you! did you end up finding the issue? i have uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times now! can print and scan FROM computer - but i need the printer to "SEE" the computers on network as we scan large documents all day, verrrrry frustrating. View This Thread Unread Watched Threads

Please do not reply to this email. You must visit Printer Forums to reply.

This message was sent to you because you opted to watch the thread EPSON WF-3640 "Downgraded (It cannot be updated)" at Printer Forums with email notification of new replies. You will not receive any further emails about this thread until you have read the new messages.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you may disable emails from this thread or disable all emails.

https://www.printerforums.net/

thanks for your reply LBarnes! good to know all of that, i will now admit defeat and move on, I have managed to set up scan to Cloud and that is working well, also - thanks for heads up on the ability to scan to doc feeder - as thats what i really need! thanks again .....no thanks to Epson though! *insert eyeroll & shaking head here *

I experienced a very similar situation with my WF-3640 on my WiFi network (eero mesh). My devices (laptops) could not connect to the printer on the network (said it was offline), although the Network Status on the printer touchscreen menu indicated it was connected. However, I accessed the System Administration menu on the printer touchscreen, then selected Wi-Fi/Network Settings and performed a Connection Check. It reported error (E-9), "Multiple network names (SSID) that match your entered network name (SSID) have been detected. Confirm network name (SSID)." Evidently, the printer was seeing each eero modem (we have 3) as an individual network with a common name. After hours of frustration (removing and reinstalling Epson software to no avail), I finally restarted the eero network from the eero app on my smart device. Ta-da! That solved the problem.

I accessed the System Administration menu on the printer touchscreen, then selected Wi-Fi/Network Settings and performed a Connection Check.
Thank you! I too had the message about the firmware being downgraded, and I was unable to scan from the printer to the computer. I performed a Connection Check per advice from printer_newb. No error was found, but now I can scan from the printer to the computer!

I experienced a very similar situation with my WF-3640 on my WiFi network (eero mesh). My devices (laptops) could not connect to the printer on the network (said it was offline), although the Network Status on the printer touchscreen menu indicated it was connected. However, I accessed the System Administration menu on the printer touchscreen, then selected Wi-Fi/Network Settings and performed a Connection Check. It reported error (E-9), "Multiple network names (SSID) that match your entered network name (SSID) have been detected. Confirm network name (SSID)." Evidently, the printer was seeing each eero modem (we have 3) as an individual network with a common name. After hours of frustration (removing and reinstalling Epson software to no avail), I finally restarted the eero network from the eero app on my smart device. Ta-da! That solved the problem.

How did you access the System Administration menu on the touchscreen? I am using an Epson-3760 and do not see that feature.

I encountered a fundamentally the same as circumstance with my WF-3640 on my WiFi organization (eero network). My gadgets (workstations) couldn't associate with the printer on the organization (said it was disconnected), albeit the Network Status on the printer touchscreen menu showed it was associated. Nonetheless, I got to the System Administration menu on the printer touchscreen, then chose Wi-Fi/Network Settings and played out a Connection Check. It detailed mistake (E-9), "Different organization names (SSID) that match your entered network name (SSID) have been recognized. Affirm network name (SSID)." Evidently, the printer was seeing each eero modem (we have 3) as a singular organization with a typical name. Late night of dissatisfaction (eliminating and reinstalling Epson programming without much of any result), I at last restarted the eero network from the eero application on my shrewd gadget. Ta-da! That tackled the issue.

Ask a Question