Epson XP-640

Hello to everyone. I think the XP-640 is an older model, but I purchased it new a few months ago. It was working fine, until after a clean install on my laptop. By the way: I'm talking about a wireless printer, and a wireless laptop, running on a home network

The clean install of the laptop went without problems, and I've done many of them before on various computers. But the printer got messed up along the line, and I'm totally lost. Now I can't set up up again.

I didn't get a CD with the purchase, but I downloaded Epson 17187.exe. -- which seems to be what I need. I get only so far, though, and the installation tells me to do thus-an-so on the printer, itself. And that's when the plight starts. I'll get virtually to the end of the setup, and then nothing appears on the printer's LCD screen that allows me to end the installation, and have it available to the laptop. Nor can I complete the installation with the downloaded software, as I get a message that the installation has failed.

I know I've done a miserable job of explaining this. I'm totally lost, frustrated, and feeling like a failure. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Laptop specs: Dell Inspiron 5737
BIOS A08
CPU i5-4200U
Dual Core

Assuming you have Windows operating system do this:

Go to Control Panel -> Devices & Printers -> Right Click your XP-640 Icon -> Select Remove Device
Download Epson 17187.exe again from here:
https://epson.com/Support/Printers/All-In-Ones/XP-Series/Epson-XP-640/s/SPT_C11CF50201#drivers
Now install newly downloaded Epson 17187.exe

You must remove printer as instructed above prior to each re-install attempt.
Advise
Thanks, Ruffin. Just before I saw your advice, I got the printer going again. I tried so much stuff, I couldn't begin to even remember what finally worked, let alone explain it. I do appreciate your advice so much, because now I know what to do if the printer goes on strike again.

Ask a Question