Every other print doesn't print enough black

We are a small greeting card and poster/print company and we try to do most of everything in-house. We use Epson Workforce 1100. We usually set the printer up to print 10-15 at a time so we can check the quality every now and then. We use high quality off brand inks (according to the website) to cut costs.

Now here is an unusual problem: Every other card printed out of one of our printers doesn't print black fully. Just grey.
Even if I set the printer to only print two images the 1st image is perfect. The second prints grey inplace of black. All the other colors are fine. Just the black is off and on.

Things that I've tried:
  1. shaking the inks
  2. switching spots (not replacing the inks)
  3. using alcohol with a q-tip to clean the black print head points. I do let it dry before putting the inks back in.When I did this though. The black printed only grey. Not off and on like before
  4. Ran a color test [ http://blog.blackfox1985.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/ColorTest.gif ] about 10x
  5. replaced inks. Once I did this everything seemed to be fine until it wasn't after the next 10 cards
Eventually I tried to print one card at a time with a pause in between and that is working out for me so far but it slowing us down tremendously.
Has anyone else had this problem? Any solutions?

Ask a Question