Good printer for Home Book Publishing

I have a couple of short books on learning languages, and I plan to write a few more.

I am looking for an inexpensive printer that I can do this at home, just print off 1 or 2 books at a time. All my stuff is to be done on half-size paper - 8 1/2" x 5 1/2". The sheets of paper come prepared that way, half the size of your basic printer ream.

Many printers have advertised they have a 250 sheet paper tray, and that they have "adjustable" paper size. However, after I purchased the printers, I discovered that the pull-out paper tray only takes letter or legal, not my half-size letter, and that the "adjustable" feature only applies when you are using the 50 sheet capacity "input tray". :(

Or that the "duplex" printing only works when you are using the smaller "input" tray. My book is about 150-200 pages, so it doesn't work for me.

Anybody got any suggestions for a printer which is small, but high quality, does duplex on 1/2 size standard paper, in one run of at least 200 sheets? :confused:

It would be nice if the output tray will hold 200 sheets, but not absolutely necessary.

What about quality - is the laser(jet) type better for pages of a book that would look like a real book, or is inkjet good enough?

Last edited:

Ask a Question