Help me fix or replace Epson WF 3530

I bought an Epson WF 3530 from Amazon on August 23rd, 2016. I really liked it but sometime late last year it suffered a paper jam that it never recovered from. Meaning, no matter what I do it keeps giving the error "paper jam" even when there is no paper jam (no paper is stuck in it, it never tore).

I called some printer shops in town and it seems like it will cost $150 just to diagnose it and then $100/hr labor to try and fix it (no guarantee it would work, of course). I shared my predicament with a few people and was encouraged to just buy another one. They reasoned "it's not new anyway, prices come down, so it's bound to be cheaper." I had forgotten how much I paid for it two years ago but I checked my Amazon orders and it turns out I had paid $430 (quite a bit more than I ever paid for a printer). The warranty on it is only for a year so that would not help me. But I really did like this printer and did everything I needed to (until it didn't), so I started contemplating dishing out the same amount of cash for it (and maybe getting one of those protection plans that people always complain about Amazon not honoring, but you know, something to extend the warranty anyway).

The thing is, I'm only finding two of the same type on Amazon and they are $577 +$35 shipping and $579 +$19 shipping (neither Prime eligible). I did a quick search on google shopping and I found it for $549 refurbished, or $577 +$48 tax +$30 shipping (and I know it's a great printer but I don't know what the one selling for $1,039.88 +$50.00 shipping is about - it's not old enough to be vintage).

But anyway, does anyone have any suggestions? A way to get mine fixed for cheaper? A comparable printer to the one I bought 2 years ago that's not $100 more expensive? Any idea why it went up in price (or is it just the lack of availability since it's been discontinued)? I liked the amount of paper it could hold, that it had duplex scanning, that it was wireless, and it could print quite fast (though I'm not really picky about this since I don't print all that much at once anyway). I also have some cartridges left over I was hoping I could use in the new one. But if I do have to buy another printer and spend the same amount of money I hope I can at least get one that's an improvement over the one I bought two years ago (or if I do buy the same one, that it wouldn't cost more than $100 more). I'm in Phoenix, AZ, in case that matters for your suggestion.

Finally, what recommendations to do you have for getting an extended warranty? I hesitate to invest over $400 again knowing I may be in this situation in 2 years. I took a risk the first time and hoped it would last but after this experience I feel I may have been irresponsible and that it would be naive to take the same risk again. Do you think an Amazon protection plan is worth it, and do you think it would have helped if I had purchased it with my last printer? I see a lot of people complaining on Amazon that it's difficult to redeem claims from those protection plans and warning that they should not be trusted but I'm not sure of alternatives.

Thanks for any help!
All_In_One

92bb178400311a4da6e7acf8b958f89f.png

2b3453e999bcbde18a6e08e5dc21f01f.png

3ab55c5fafbcc3fe9148ad762f9ff0f1.png

1. I would check Epson sites for a all-in-one that meets your needs, some products which are being phased out have nice discounts. The model you have is no longer made. The resellers are charging a premium for customers who need that exact model for some specific reason (they have a large number of existing units and they want compatibility with the print cartridges).
2. You could try to fix the problem yourself. I've been researching my problem which is "paper feed error or jam" on an ET-2650. From watching numerous videos, most Epson printer internals are the same across product types . A common thread with Epson printer units is paper jam issues, The paper jam will be reported with no paper in the printer. The cause is a lever sensor being displaced. It can be fixed easily but get to it can be difficult.

Last edited:
1. I would check Epson sites for a all-in-one that meets your needs, some products which are being phased out have nice discounts. The model you have is no longer made. The resellers are charging a premium for customers who need that exact model for some specific reason (they have a large number of existing units and they want compatibility with the print cartridges).
2. You could try to fix the problem yourself. I've been researching my problem which is "paper feed error or jam" on an ET-2650. From watching numerous videos, most Epson printer internals are the same across product types . A common thread with Epson printer units is paper jam issues, The paper jam will be reported with no paper in the printer. The cause is a lever sensor being displaced. It can be fixed easily but get to it can be difficult.

Hi, yes, I believe that is the issue with my printer (your #2). Just as you say, unfortunately, it's difficult to "get to it." I have looked all over for instructions on how to get to it on MY printer and I can't find anything. I can't seem to open the case to get to where I need to. I have looked without luck for technical guides, videos, websites, etc. They show other printers (there are so many epson models!!!) but I cannot find mine and those others don't help me figure out how to open the case on my printer. I've even seen questions/complains about this asking how to get inside the WF 3530 but no answers.

As for buying other models that are being phased in... what is the best way to find these deals (not much on the Epson website) and is there ANY WAY to extend the warranty or purchase additional warranty from a third party past the one year? I'm really cautious of the one year as they seem, in my experience, to break down shortly after.

Thanks for your reply!

Ask a Question