HL-L8350CDW need to stop others from printing text gibberish

Hi there!

I have a Brother HL-L8350CDW printer, installed on our network, at a small business.

It works great... for me. I can print to it just fine. So can several other people. It's a good printer, it does what it's supposed to do.

However, we can't police everybody. There are other people at our office who have something wrong with their setup, perhaps using the wrong driver.

It's a serious problem, as just one print job submitted with the wrong driver will cause hundreds of pages to be wasted! Each page has one or two lines of raw text at the top of it, full of various classic IBM graphics text characters, like smiley faces and playing card suits and such. This continues for hundreds of pages. It's obviously trying to take a binary file and render it as classic ASCII text, which just won't work.

Is there a way I can stop this automatic text conversion? I want the printer to just reject the file entirely, if unable to print it, instead of rendering it as text.

I have warned as many people as I could find, but can't account for everybody, and all it takes is one culprit for another hundred pages to be wasted! The only workaround is to be sure to fill the paper tray very slightly, so as soon as somebody starts doing this again, we know and can turn the printer off.

There's got to be a better way. Has anybody else ran into this problem before?

Josh Lehan

you can not stop that. printer does not know or understand what is inside the document.
the only reason a printer would reject the document is if the print string contains a command sequence that it can not interpret. everything else is a fair game.
and it is not an automatic text conversion, many binary files contain codes that translate to the images you see. printer simply thinks that this is what you want to print. it is a program that you use to print the files (images and such) that is responsible for properly interpreting the data and converting to printable format if applies .

Ask a Question