HL-L8350CDW Printing Preferences Locked

Printer: HL-L8350CDW

When I go into the Brother printing preferences in Windows, all of the settings are locked. Under the security dialog, it says that even if I re-install the driver, the preferences' password will remain. How do I reset the Windows Brother Printer Preferences password?

Screenshot.png

I have the same problem with my MFC-L2740dw printer and Win7Pro. I never set an administrator password so I can't change the settings, it just keeps asking for the password. Brother tech support blames it on my PC but I've never had any issues with HP and other printers, just the Brother. I will call back and ask for a supervisor.

All printer settings will be restored to the factory default settings

All printer settings will be restored to the factory default settings.

1. Disconnect the network cable from the machine or the network settings (such as IP address) will not be reset.

2. Press ▲ or ▼ to select Reset Menu. Press OK.

3. Press ▲ and Cancel at the same time.

4. Press OK when Settings Reset appears.

5. Press OK when Restart Printer? appears. Your machine's printer settings will be reset.

Models covered by this
  • HLL8350CDW
  • HLL8350CDWT

I have the same problem with my MFC-L2740dw printer and Win7Pro. I never set an administrator password so I can't change the settings, it just keeps asking for the password. Brother tech support blames it on my PC but I've never had any issues with HP and other printers, just the Brother. I will call back and ask for a supervisor.
Just got off the phone with a Brother tech support supervisor who had me do another uninstall/reinstall and the preferences still come up locked. He, like his agent on my previous call, said I need to contact my computer manufacturer for help. Since this computer plays with other brands of printer just fine, that won't be happening. Shame on Brother for not acknowledging they have buggy software and for not employing qualified Tier 1 techs who have the chops to drill down beneath the surface.

Ask a Question