how are CD packaging printed?

I inquired with B&H and I was told those printers that print CD inserts, CD jacket, CD digipaks are all done on an offset printer. I would like to start a small record label where I can do everything in-house. Who sells an offset printer small enough for just my personal use to start with? I was told by someone such machine that prints those CD packaging cost about $45,000. Although I've seen offset printers for far less. Those expensive ones must be for mass production. My other option since it's easier to just use regular jewel case CD inserts, since the inserts come in regular size letter paper and can be printed on easily but this comes across as "home made". I was recommended an inkjet printer and simply buy those printable glossy or matte CD insert papers. But would laser printer be better than an inkjet or not really?

Also, printing on the CD surface; the printers for these are widely available but not so much the packaging printers. I wonder why. I would have loved to print on those blank CD digipak cases I've seen for sale. My laptop is Lightscribe capable meaning it can "print" on Lightscribe compatible CDs. This isn't so much printing but more like a "laser etching" but this is monochrome looking things. Those printers from Primera that can print colors on the surface of a disc would be ideal.

My current printer is a standard all-in-one Canon Pixma MP280. I'd have to look at the manual if this is even an inkjet, I don't remember, it's a $30 printer from Walmart.

Ask a Question