how to install additional HP printer on same computer?

Have an HP C6280 installed in Vista hm prem x64. In the past, I've installed 2 HP printers on same computer (in fact, these SAME printers), where they both used same HP Solution Center (HSC) & both worked - completely. It's not working now.

Question: If you have a newer printer installed w/ all HP printing, scanning software & Solution Center, what should you install / not install from the second printer's software?

It didn't add the C5180 to HSC, nor to list of printers; it DID install Photosmart All In One Driver Software v8.x (which I believe is latest ver for C5100) in Programs & Features. Same software - v10.x was already installed (still is). Believe that's C6280's version.

Re ran installer for C5180; this time selected "Add a Device." That added it to HSC v13.x, but it couldn't scan from the HSC. Gave error about verify file hpiscnapp.exe is available. It was & the C6280 had been using it.

Example: The NEWER C6280 has a HSC ver. 13.x. It also has newer Photosmart All In One Driver Software (v10.x), than is available for download on the C5100 series support site.

Had the C6280 installed & everything worked, including scanning from HSC.
Installed software for C5180 (5100) from latest d/l. Did a custom install. Of several softwares listed, showed ("already installed"). After running the installer, Vista showed Photosmart All In One Driver Software v8.x (which I believe is latest ver for C5100) in Programs & Features, along w/ v10.x. OK - fine.

Ran HP Print & Scan Dr (may be joke -dunno). Said the "full software package for C5180 wasn't installed."
Leads right back to original question - WHAT all should you install, for a 2nd HP printer, when they use different versions of software, HSC, etc?

Is it correct, that if more recent software for 1st HP printer is already installed, running a COMPLETE "RECOMMENDED" install for 2nd HP printer, will ONLY install what it needs (that ISN'T already present); will USE later versions of things like HSC (& work CORRECTLY)... AND... WON'T mess up anything w/ the 1st printer (e.g., overwrite newer drivers w/ older ones).

Now, I've run a Level 3 uninstall of the C5180 & waiting to find some info how to proceed. Oddly, the Solution Center icon is still active - LAUNCHES the center. But, the C5180 uninstall removed the (only) HSC entry from Programs & Features??
Thanks for any suggestions.

Ask a Question