hp 2050 cartridge failure unexplained, unsoluble - pls HELP

Help. Had to create this account to just get anyone -- wherever you good folks are -- to advice me on this loony inexplicable issue I encountered out-of-the-blue just now with my domestic (mostly reliable) HP 2050. The printer WAS PRINTING just now - with no hitch, both cartridges long-installed and checked and again, no problem hit upon me whatsoever, ... a couple of pages went thru, just until - upon the next (random) page - this satanic alert popped on my computer screen accompanied by the little orange icon blinking on the printer with nothing I can do - all with NO APPARENT REASON, and seemingly here to stay no matter what I try to do - even after I ran thru all the (obvious) tips specified in this page I picked online - I was fruitlessly trying on and on to change the cartridge (I have a spare, new one), cartridges are compatibles and reliable and, I'll say it again - this isn't about any new installation, but a trouble hitting up IN THE MIDDLE OF ORDINARY USAGE, thus totally unexplicable... Switching off and on, opening any slot to wipe inexistent dust... changing the page which is to get printed, tried ANYTHING. Desperate for your brief consultation. Totally perplexed. Thanks so much. Orrling
ScreenHunter_773 Mar. 21 12.47.jpg

Hey Thanks so much you replied - unbelievable .. You just sound like I can solve this sh#t or do I imagine? :) Just came back home from strolling between shops looking to buy the same type of printer to contain my full-and-new cartridges (#122), the only answer I get is such printer models aren't on the market anymore..! Will now try what you wrote to me, it's my last hope, thanks again Sir/Madam!! :-]

Last edited:
Install OEM HP cartridge (Not Compatible)
Unplug power cord from wall socket for 30 minutes
Reset Printer to "Factory Default" (see printer manual)

Follow these HP Instructions:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02244928
Regards

Oh hi again... uhmm.. thanks for your guidance, but the link for the hp support is dead.. somehow. :/
Most other HP weblinks lead to the same blank page too tbh... odd fate :/ lol
However, I should probably try what Google suggests when searching "Reset Printer to Factory Default HP" - seems pretty simple, problem is, my printer doesn't have that "Resume button"... so far I know.. :/
Any other button I should try? (I only have the "On/Off" button and the Copy function...)
ScreenHunter_774 Mar. 21 16.35.jpg
ScreenHunter_773 Mar. 21 16.17.jpg
ScreenHunter_774 Mar. 21 16.35.jpg
ScreenHunter_773 Mar. 21 16.17.jpg

Oh well, it sadly failed. I don't have an OEM cartridge this way or another; my both cartridges are good and valid even though they're compatibles, and so it seems I'll need to sell them Haha. And throw away my sweet printer getting a new one instead. No printer nowadays on the market will support my ink cartridges, so they say... Bad luck.
Thanks. :(

For Windows:
Before you quit, try new printer install. Follow this in order:
First Click Start - > Devices & Printers -> Right Click Hp2050 icon -> Select Uninstall
Also uninstall All HP applications in your application uninstall feature
Click Computer -> C Drive -> Programs Folder -> Delete any remaining HP folders
Click Computer -> C Drive -> Program Data - Delete any remaining HP Folders
Re-start your computer or turn off and then turn back on.
Insert HP Install Cd

Do you really know your cartridges are good??

One last possibility:
Remove your cartridges both Black & Color (one at a time)
With clean cloth dipped in alcohol, wipe contacts on rear of cartridges
Wipe contacts in cartridge cavity that mate with cartridge contacts
Do not leave cartridges out for more than couple minutes.

Orrling: I should have been more specific.
Apply power to printer
With printer turned-on
Remove power cord plug from wall outlet for 30 minutes
Now restore power
Was error message removed?

Clean cartridge contacts and cavity contacts as my previous
Was error message removed?
Regards
Florida, USA

For Windows:
Before you quit, try new printer install. Follow this in order:
First Click Start - > Devices & Printers -> Right Click Hp2050 icon -> Select Uninstall
Also uninstall All HP applications in your application uninstall feature
Click Computer -> C Drive -> Programs Folder -> Delete any remaining HP folders
Click Computer -> C Drive -> Program Data - Delete any remaining HP Folders
Re-start your computer or turn off and then turn back on.
Insert HP Install Cd

Do you really know your cartridges are good??

Well it's a tricky question – obviously I can rely only upon my plain experience with them until this morning – they worked literally flawless (=GREAT colour I.D.-document print just this morning, before the thing went nuts!!), thus other than knowing -- and seeing with own eyes for ever since both cartridges are in use – that they were EVIDENTLY UP AND RUNNING in the course of ordinary printing, I can't assert much on their quality. They gave me satisfactory results, both RELIABLY-shopped compatibles, 122XL - without a chance either one was empty, and I still, as I said before, tried replacing the one blinking with a SEALED-PACKED one to rule-out that thought or any "cartridge gone wrong" option - seeing no result.
DSCF4639.JPG

Last edited:
There's apparently no Uninstall with my printer options... Pls see screenshot :/
This is what I get with the right-click
ScreenHunter_778 Mar. 22 03.12.jpg

(Edited)
My various attempts to uninstall the printer have failed. I clicked "Uninstall" at the Start > Programs > HP folder thing, browsed thru the C > Program Files to try locate HP folders (there are none! Very weird), restarted the comp. And the printer still shows in the Devices and Printers control panel, with no Uninstall option to it... There's only "Remove device", but trying this didn't work either.
Good thing I DO have the printer's insttallation CD; I just need to have the demon uninstalled all first.. lol.

Last edited:
One last possibility:
Remove your cartridges both Black & Color (one at a time)
With clean cloth dipped in alcohol, wipe contacts on rear of cartridges
Wipe contacts in cartridge cavity that mate with cartridge contacts
Do not leave cartridges out for more than couple minutes.

Hey there... Oh shame the cartridges have now been out for hours... as I had basically quit the struggle and intended to dump the printer... will now re-try this - as uninstalling the printer constantly fails - though I have wiped the cartridges and their caves before, doubt it will change anything now... Does vodka qualify as alcohol for that cloth? It's the only colourless alcohol around here

Edited:
Since I posted this answer, I was doing the following:
* Totally disconnected the printer and attempted uninstalling it
* Wiped the circuitry area of each cartridge with a cloth slightly damped with a drop of vodka, same on the caves inside the printer where each cartridge sits; then re-plugged the whole thing and reinserted the cartridges
* Inserted the printer's CD to see if re-installation works (although uninstalling failed..) so the "installation" is now running
* As I'm typing this, the Tri-Color icon on my printer is blinking as before... like no change was achieved at all. Why can't I uninstall the printer??!
DSCF4641.JPG

Last edited:
I have now had the power cable unplugged from the electricity socket for 30 minutes. As I re-plugged, the little icon on the printer keeps blinking :)
It's totally f#cked.
Very random

And this said, all HP folders I found on my computer had already been deleted manually.

(Edited)
Is there any point in re-trying installing the printer's driver using the CD as I did earlier in this thread? I mean, this has failed too.

Select "Remove Device". Icon Deskjet 2050 with green check mark must disappear

RemoveDevice.jpg

Orrling: Both HP links work perfectly for me. I use Firefox browser
What is your operating system? Windows 7 or 8 or 10?

Select "Remove Device". Icon Deskjet 2050 with green check mark must disappear

View attachment 687

Orrling: Both HP links work perfectly for me. I use Firefox browser
What is your operating system? Windows 7 or 8 or 10?

Hey there. I think it's a 7 here. And a Chrome browser. So very weirdly - literally ALL hp-domained links get you an "Error" page, at least here at mine.
But you know, I have packed away the cords of this printer already, during the hours of going thru the last stage of this crisis management, corrupted all possible files of this printer on my comp (meaning you should doubt I ever can re-utilize this shiny hardware in this house again, even if theoretically someone comes up with a huge idea as for the cartridge failure) and all-in-all, I have grown deeply worried over the possibility that using compatibles in some way DID actually have a role in that terrible unexpected printer-kill yesterday. People are saying to me - "Better check with the shop where you got those inks" (meaning they directly or indirectly shortened my printer's lifespan); "Check for HP's recent legal resolution for allowing users to restore from hp's assholic unnoticed update which has possibly affected those employing compatibles", and anyways it's now growing about more and more clear that finding a new printer that will support my cartridges is next to hopeless... (--was phoning more than a dozen shops nationwide asking to buy a 122-cartridge series printer,,, or maybe shouldn't I ?)

Last edited:
OK Orrling. Sorry we failed to get it up and running. Best of luck to you.
Regards
Florida, USA

Ask a Question