HP j4580 wont print black

I have a HP j4580 Officejet All-In-One running Windows XP (32 bit).

My j4580 prints grey rather than black. Black is of poor quality. I found that thread on HPs questions but none of thier solutions have worked. I downloaded the software for this system & looked for other updates. I removed & cleaned the catrtidge as instructed, cleaned the cartridges thru tools on the printer, printed test pages, etc. This is a fairly new cartridge, although I have not used the printer in quite some time. The black cartridge was clogged on the outside & I cleaned that up well as instructed. I didnt want to put a new cartridge in it until I have exausted all other solutions.

I remember when I first got this printer, I downloaded the software from the disc & had problems. I downloaded updates from HP & still had problems. I contated HP & after a couple of hours, she finally had me download some file ( that I cant find now) & it corrected the problem I had. However, I dont remember if this was the problem I was having. Thats been a year or so ago. Any ideas BESIDES changing the cartridge?

Thanks in advance,

TC

Ask a Question