HP MFP 277dw prints wirelessly but won't scan wirelessly. Scanning worked fine before recent installation of ORBI mesh network.

First timer here. I have an HP MFP 277dw multi-function laser printer. I'm running Windows 10 on my computer. A couple of years ago, I gave the printer a fixed IP address, and this solved connection problems that I had been having pretty regularly. I have been able to print with wifi and scan to a folder on my laptop with wifi without problems. In the last month, my internet provider (AT&T - fiber) provided a new gateway modem/router after the old one failed. At the same time, I added an ORBI mesh network that provided much better coverage throughout our house. The AT&T gateway has its own network that feeds the ORBI system, which has its own network. The ORBI network is far stronger throughout the house, so we connect to wifi and the internet through the ORBI network. When I made these network upgrades, I easily connected my computer and the printer to the ORBI network. I have been able to print wirelessly, with no problems.

But today, I wanted to scan a document to the scan folder on my computer, and when I tried to do that, a window popped up that said "The HP Scan application is currently in use with another task or another user on this computer. Please wait until the other task is complete and then try again". I turned off the printer and then rebooted it and I rebooted my computer and it did not solve the problem. I tried to scan again and got the same window. I tried to run HP Print and Scan Doctor, and it Scan Doctor showed my printer as the device to be selected for Scan Doctor's repair attempt. but my computer would not connect to the printer while trying to connect via Scan Doctor. This does not make sense to me, because I was still able to print documents. I just couldn't scan them. The error message from Scan Doctor said "Failed to communicate with your selected product" I checked the printer's control panel to see which wifi network the printer was on and it was the ORBI network, which was the correct network. So the Scan Doctor application saw the printer to start the Scan Doctor process, but could not communicate with the printer when it began its repair process. It does not make sense to me that the computer saw the printer but could not connect to it. Following some troubleshooting suggestions that I found on the internet, I uninstalled the printer software from my computer and reinstalled it, making the choice in the installation process to connect to the printer wirelessly through wifi. It made no difference. Again, I could print but not scan.

Then, I tried to scan from the printer to the scan folder on the computer by initiating the scan from the control panel on the printer. Up till now, I had been trying to initiate the scan from the computer. This did not work either, and I got this message on the little control panel of the printer: "Cannot find the remote server. Check server name or use IP Address to connect. Check that the remote computer is turned on." I rebooted both the computer and printer again and no change. I checked the IP address of the printer in the printer settings, using the control panel on the printer and the fixed IP address was correct and the wifi network was the ORBI network, which was also correct. I also went to the command prompt and pinged the printer's IP address, and the computer was seeing it.

That's where I am. I don't know what to do now. I can still print but I can't scan. Help, please!

Ask a Question