Kyocera FS1010 repair

I came across this the other day and have done it myself and after putting up with my printer starting half way down the page on the first page for years it is now fixed, be patient, look before pulling or hitting should be ok lol :)

Fixing a faulty Kyocera FS-1010 printer with cardboard and glue
We don't do a lot of printing and since We have become a laptop only household printing has been further discouraged since going to the printer and plugging in is simply too much effort, I just save/print it to a PDF.

So after finally setting my printer as a network printer, using an old laptop, I was dismayed to find that the printer was not printing the first page correctly, the printing would start almost halfway down the page, strangely however subsequent pages of each job were printing just fine.

The printer is a Kyocera FS-1010, laser printer.

After some searching around the web I found a few people reporting the same symptoms:
Huge Margin with Kyocera FS 1000+ - Fixya

But then I came across these threads on copytechnet forums:
Kyocera FS1010 Delayed printing 1st Page - Page 2

Basically there are some foam pads that insulate some moving arms from their stop point. These get compressed over time and no longer insulate the arms and they get magnetically stuck on the stop points.

The steps from this post are :

Open the right side of the printer

Disconnect all connections to engine board

Remove engine board

Remove plastic guard (white)

remove all 3 solenoids

Replace all pads on the solenoids that come up against stops

Registration Solenoid has 2 pads (1 against the solenoid frame and the other on a stop arm, the others just the frame pad)

Keep thickness to around .4 - .5mm Too thick on register arm will cause early printing.

Reassemble

So with the above and a service manual downloaded from : Kyocera FS-1010 Service Manual free download,schematics,datasheets,eeprom bins,pcb,repair info for test equipment and electronics

I was able to open the printer, access the solenoids scrape off the old foam and glue some thin cardboard in their place.

After a successful 'Step 9' Reassemble, printing is back to normal!

There aren't many items in this tech would that can be fixed so easily simply, Of course opening up a printer and removing bits a pieces is not usually regarded as easy.

Ask a Question