Lexmark pro905 massive cyan/blue streaks

My lexmark pro905 is set by default to print in black ink only. However, a couple of days ago, it randomly started printed long, 1/2 inch wide blue/cyan streaks in my black and white documents. At first, it happened on one out of every three print jobs, even during repeated prints of the same document. So I know it wasn't some code in the document itself causing the printer to use blue.

I checked for cartridge leaks and cleaned the print head. I didn't notice any improvement afterwards, but I also didn't notice any damage done immediately afterwards by my attempt to fix the problem. Instead, the problem remained with the same frequency and amount of blue streaks.

Late the next day (two days after the problem started), the printer suddenly used so much blue on a black-only print job that it saturated the page in blue. I tried to deep clean the print head and also retest print head alignment. Yet, even when it prints other colors on the print head align test page, it prints over those colors with blue. And it still prints blue on my black and white documents, even when I specifically set the printer to print in black ink only.

Any thoughts about the problem. Thanks for the suggestions. Also, since this printer has been nothing but trouble, I'm open to suggestions for a similar (but more reliable) printer. More often than not, I have to still reboot my computer to print despite the patches. The multi-page feeder has never worked, so I still must scan pages one at a time, and the double sided printing jams on every other page.

Robert

Ask a Question