MFC-6490CW now fails to connect - but used to work for years

This is driving me bonkers :mad:

This machine has worked perfectly for years... then suddenly no longer. I am pointing the finger at Win10 updates.

I have used only the WiFi connection method. Never failed... until now.

I have 2 newish Lenovo laptops and a desktop I've just finished building from scratch with all brand new bits. I installed the Brother software on all 3 PCs and the printer/scanner to a fixed IP of 10.1.1.30 on my router (as it has always been when working). I can ping the printer no probs.

When I try to print or scan from any of the 3 PCs it times out as 'no connection'. When I go to the printer and use its Scan button, choose Scan-to-file and any of the 3 registered PCs... the relevant PC displays the identical 'no connection' error. How can that be???? The printer calls the PC... the damned PC knows it was called by the printer yet the PC has the cheek to say 'no connection' after the printer woke it?

Regards, Tom

PS - I just had a thought and booted up my older desktop that does not have the latest Win10 updates and the printer works fine. So it must be something in Win10 updates causing the problem.

Last edited:

Ask a Question