MFC-6920DW won't connect to Wi-Fi router

Can anyone explain how to make a Brother MFC-6920DW printer connect to a Wi-Fi network? I've tried to follow Brother's instructions, but they're spread over three or four different manuals with references back and forth, instructions to find needed information in manuals that don't contain it, instructions to select menu items that don't exist, etc.

I found a Brother FAQ on the web that purports to explain how to "Setup a Brother machine on a wireless (Wi-Fi) network using the supplied CD-ROM," but it only explains how to connect a computer to a Brother printer through a Wi-Fi network. Since the printer doesn't appear on the network, that's no help.

When I select the router from the printer's "Setup Wizard" menu, the printer prompts me to enter the "network key." The router doesn't have a "network key." It has a password and a WPS pin. Neither one works.

When I select "Setup with PC," it just tells me to follow the instructions in the Quick Start Guide. That is my gateway to the house of mirrors I described in the first paragraph.

When I select "WPS/AOSS" the printer thinks for several minutes, then tells me that no access point was found.

When I select "WPS with Pin" it tells me what the *printer's* pin is, and instructs me to enter it on the access point. The "access point" is a router from Comcast; it has no controls, much less a keyboard that I could use to enter a pin.

I know the router is working. We've been using it to access the Internet for years. My wife bought a new HP printer a few months ago, and when she turned it on it appeared on my computer's menu of available network devices with no configuration at all. I have printed things on it several times.

Using USB instead of Wi-Fi is not an option here. I already have one computer connected to the printer via USB; I need to connect a second. The printer has only one USB port, so at least one computer has to use Wi-Fi.

Ask a Question