MFC-J480DW prints 8 times slower than a 10 years older analogue

I just bought this printer, it prints exceptionally well and is great in everything, design quality, ergonomics, silence, controls, etc, except for exasperating slowness. I had a Brother MFC-235C, a 10 years older model, same category, which should print 25 pages per minute accordingly to the specs, while the new one is given to 12. But the real situation is quite different: the old Brother printed a b/w A4 (about 2000 characters) in 15-20 seconds, normal mode, the new one takes 2 minutes (2'45'' in best mode). I did not find any speed adjustments. Do you confirm that the speed performance is so bad?

I also see that, in comparison to online help, the properties / preferences panel lacks offset options, borderless, normal / vivid color mode, duplex settings ...

Last edited:
Preferences or Options Are Directly Related To Printer Driver Provided By Manufacturer.
Assume Correct Printer Driver Is Installed For your Operating system & Printer.

First follow these steps:

Disconnect Internet. Do you see any difference in Print Speed?

Are you connected to Router? Is your printer Wireless or USB connected?

Is your printer on Network? If so, turn off all other computers on Network. Any Difference?

Do you use Wireless Mouse?

Click Start -> Devices & Printers -> Right Click Your Printer Icon -> Select Remove
Printer Icon Should Disappear
Re-install Printer Using Install CD. Follow Mfg Install Instructions.
Any Difference In Print Speed?

Hi ruffin!! Thanx Thanx Thanx!!!!! I fixed everything with your help, I connected to USB and the speed went astonishing!! Following your tips, I discovered I also had wrongly deleted an icon from devices & printers, thinking it was a duplicate, it seems the system needs both instead. When I told my father, here in Italy, that his new japanese printer was ok thx to a guy from Florida, he couldn't believe it! We are in Milan, but wish we could be there to hike by boat your Everglades park inside out!!

Ask a Question