'Milky' prints

Hi all, new to the forum. Not sure if this has been asked B4,but here goes. When printing on my Pixma Pro 9500 Mk II, my prints always turn out 'milky'. Im printing from an Apple Macbook Pro 17" using Mountain Lion OS. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a fix for it? I have d'loaded the latest drivers for the printer. I have tried various settings in the print menu, but nothing seems to help. Even using the ICC for the given paper doesn't seem to help. Any ideas would be very welcome.

Thanks

Hi Captain, it would be nice to help you but we couldn't because you haven't clearly define what "milky print" is. Please comment here what you actually mean for that. You can tell us if the defect is huge or is it all over the paper? Does it occur most of the time? If not, how often then? Details like this. :)

Bummer ... I don't own one, but my impression is that is a Very Nice Printer, capable of professional level A3+ prints with 10 pigment ink cartridges, and better archival fade resistance compared to my otherwise similar 9000-2 with 8 dye ink cartridges.

Some questions
* I assume you have printed lots with other, simpler printers ... the 9500-2 would be a strange first printer. But it is worth asking ... how much printing experience do you have, with what printer(s)?

* Did the 9500-2 ever print satisfactorily? Did you buy it new? Been stored a long time? Using Canon OEM ink?

* But really, the first question for any such print quality issue is ... nozzle check ok?

* If not, discontinue printing until resolved, unless you enjoy spending $100+ USD to replace a damaged or even fried print-head. Consider uploading scan of nozzle check to facilitate evaluation.

* My (admittedly uninformed) understanding is that the 9500-2 is less prone to print-head clogs than older Epson pigment printers, but still more prone to clogging than dye based printers like my 9000-2. As you may know, that is inherent with pigment vs dye ink, and a trade-off for better archival fade resistance.

* If the nozzle check is ok ... first done with copy paper and then with less expensive, generic inkjet paper ... preferably glossy like HP Everyday in the USA which is sometimes available with very good rebate ... then

* reduce possible color management and operator error issues by using [Photoshop | Lightroom | PSE | PSP | Q-Image | other?] to print unmodified test prints like the excellent one from OutbackPhoto.net

* To really remove more variables, use ACPU (Adobe Color Print Utility) to print an untagged, unmanaged printer profile target like the TC9.18 ... but that is something of a last resort.

Ask a Question